Children’s traveling art show on display at Carnegie Public Library

Zoë Donovan, Staff Reporter

Members of the community can visit Cultivating Creativity, a traveling art show that highlights student art from local area schools, at the Charleston Carnegie Public Library until July 7.

Cultivating Creativity displays 44 works of student art from 33 different area schools, ranging from primary level to high school, which includes the Charleston middle school and high school.

The show features a mix of two-dimensional and three-dimensional art in a wide variety of mediums including, but not limited to, watercolor, pastel, charcoal and ceramics.

Tim Abel, museum education manager for the Tarble Arts Center, said the children’s exhibition and traveling show was created by the TAC with the intention of raising awareness for the inclusion of art in the classroom.

Abel said this is the 36th year a student art exhibit and traveling show has been organized by the TAC.

The traveling exhibition has also been displayed at 12 other sites, including the Effingham and Shelbyville public libraries, he said.

Student works are selected by teachers and then reviewed and selected by TAC faculty before the children’s exhibition, Abel said.

At least one work of student art from each school that participates in the program is displayed by the TAC in the traveling display, he said.

Artists whose works are displayed in the show also receive a monetary award during an awards reception, Abel said.

Chris Houchens, director for the Carnegie Public Library, said he loves showcasing work from the area’s children artists, noting the traveling art show is something everyone can enjoy.

“Anyone can find at least one piece they adore,” he said.

The traveling art show, located on the mid-level of the Carnegie Public Library, opened June 15 and will be available until July 7 during normal business hours.

The 2019-2020 Cultivating Creativity student show will begin in October, and its first stop will be the Carnegie Public Library.

Zoë Donovan can be reached at 581–2812 or at [email protected].