Not everyone can be a winner; it takes effort

Jessica Stewart, Columnist

I am the assistant coach for Charleston High School’s dance team, and I’ve spent this past week at a Dance Camp with them. This was my first time ever going to a Dance Camp, despite dancing in my own school’s team all four years of high school.

It has been such an amazing experience, and I’ve learned so much as a coach.

At camp, the kids can earn ribbons based on their technique, showmanship, spirit and leadership. They have to work hard to earn these ribbons; they are not just given to everyone.

I’ve noticed some kids (thankfully not from my team) getting upset about not getting a ribbon, and it really frustrates me. If you aren’t putting in the effort, you don’t deserve a ribbon.

The same kids who complain about not getting ribbons are the ones who don’t look like they are enjoying themselves. They don’t smile, they don’t execute moves well and they just don’t seem to be having fun.

These dancers do not deserve ribbons for that.

I’ve always hated the mentality that everyone deserves an award simply for participation.

I don’t believe in that at all. If you want an award, you have to work for it. You cannot just expect it to be given to you for showing up.

If you are upset about not receiving an award, work harder. Do not complain about not getting chosen.

Take that as a sign that you need to put in more effort, and that effort will pay off.

If the instructors see that a student is struggling but they still have a great attitude and are working hard, they will give them a ribbon because they earned it. They put in the effort to try and improve, so they deserve a ribbon.

Giving everyone an award takes away from the special feeling behind receiving that award. They won’t want to work as hard because if everyone gets an award, what’s the point in trying?

People should want to work harder in order to earn a reward. They shouldn’t want it handed to them.

At the end of camp, all but three of my dancers walked away with ribbons. Hopefully, they see this as a reason to work harder at the next camp and to make themselves memorable.

If you don’t receive an award, use it as motivation to do better.

Do not complain about not being rewarded for mediocre work. If you work hard and earn that reward, it will feel a lot better than it would have if it was handed to you for nothing.

Jessica Stewart is a junior English major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].