College 101: Studying tips just in time for finals

Logan Raschke, News Editor

Eastern’s Student Success Center has a list of resources for students interested in learning how to study effectively come final exams next week.

10 Study Traps and How to Get Out of Them

The SSC says there are 10 trapping phrases students sometimes tell themselves that prevent them from studying.

Here are just a few: “I don’t know where to begin,” “I’ve got so much to study … and so little time” and “I’m going to stay up all night until I get this.”

Students should “take control” of their studying when they do not know where to begin. The SSC says students can come up with a game plan, break it into different manageable parts and begin studying early in their days, taking necessary breaks in between study sessions.

When students feel like they have no time to study, the SSC says it is important to “preview” and review the class syllabus for important dates.

“Identify the most important topics emphasized and the topics you don’t quite have a grasp of yet and concentrate on those. But remember, previewing is not a substitute for reading,” the SSC says.

Mental exhaustion is something students should try to avoid, says the SSC. Students need to take care of themselves physically and mentally before they study or take tests. The SSC says it is also important to separate sleep and schoolwork. If students are too focused on academics when it is time for bed, it will be harder for them to go to sleep.

Controlling Your Environment

The SSC says studying in a controlled environment is very important.

Students should find a place and go to that same place every time to study. The SSC says after studying so many times in that fixed location, “study becomes the appropriate behavior in that particular environment,” so it becomes easier and easier to study.

Additionally, even in familiar environments, it is a bad idea to stare blankly at the study material when a student’s mind starts to wander, says the SSC.

Students should instead get up and walk around if they start to daydream. The SSC says this goes back to associating study with an environment; if a student daydreams too often in their own study space, they will associate that space with daydreaming and nothing will get done.

Studying is pretty habitual, says the SSC, so students should set the same times of the day to study as well.

Study Groups

Students who choose to study with others prove to be more successful than those who study alone, as long as the study group focuses on learning, according to Eastern’s website.

The SSC says students should keep the group small (3-6 people) and only include others who are willing to participate and keep steady the focus of the group.

Going to frequent meetings—not just studying in the group a day or two before the exam—is a good strategy, according to the SSC.

Holding each group member accountable is crucial; delegating different material and subject matter to each member is a good idea, the SSC says.

The Student Success Center

The SSC, located at 1302 Ninth Street Hall, is a place students can go to for academic advice that can best prepare them for success. The center also offers individualized consultations for students to meet with advisers to help with specific goals. The center can be reached at 581-7196.

Logan Raschke can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].