Band of 7 siblings to perform alternative-folk music

Logan Raschke, News Editor

The Dvorak Concert Hall will be full of indie-alternative-folk music as The Hunts band performs for the Eastern and Charleston community Thursday night.

Dan Crews, interim director of programming, publicity and promotions at the Doudna Fine Arts Center, said The Hunts is a 7-sibling musical group that has toured around the country.

The genre of music they perform is alternative-folk, akin to “Mumford & Sons,” he said, and the songs are laced with harmony.

Born in Chesapeake, Virginia, the siblings, ranging from ages 17-26, have been performing together for almost their entire lives, according to the press release.

“Twin sister Jessi and Jenni and brothers Josh, Jonathan, Jordan, Justin, and Jamison … learned to sing and play violin as young kids and spent much of their childhood performing in their community,” the press release says. “Adding mandolin, piano, ukulele, banjo, drums, and now songwriting to their repertoire has brought to life a batch of songs that reveal the siblings’ sophisticated sense of melody and undeniably dreamy innocence.

According to The Hunts website, the siblings all grew up in a very musical home and began composing and performing their songs together.

Every sibling contributes to the vocals of their albums with Josh (guitar) and Jenni (violin) leading with the help of Jonathan (keys), Jordan (drums), Justin (bass), Jamison (mandolin) and Jessi (viola and banjo), according to their website.

Crews said he remembers hearing the group about seven years ago and being taken aback by the quality of their performance.

“I saw them at kind of a showcase called ‘Arts Midwest’ probably about seven years ago. That time, the mother and father were in the band, and I was blown away by the musicianship, how enthusiastic they were and how good they were. They were an extremely talented group of musicians,” he said.

What sets The Hunts apart from other bands and groups that have performed at Doudna is the family aspect, Crews said.

“I thought what made them really unique was the fact that they’re all brothers and sisters,” he said.

The Hunts will perform Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the Dvorak Concert Hall of the Doudna Fine Arts Center Theatre.

Tickets are $17 for general admission, $13 for seniors 62 years old and older and $7 for students.

Tickets can be purchased at the Doudna Fine Arts Center Box Office. The Office’s hours are Tuesday through Thursday from 11:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m., Friday from 11:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. and one hour before the performance.

Logan Raschke can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].