Opera singer to perform 1-woman show

Hannah Shillo, Entertainment Reporter

Students and staff at Eastern can continue celebrating Women’s History and Awareness Month by attending a one-woman musical in the Doudna Fine Arts Center Thursday at 7:30 p.m.

Dan Crews, director of programming, publicity and promotions at Doudna, said “It Just Takes One” stars opera performer Kate Tombaugh.

He said the show follows a young singer who is striving to begin her career while also trying to balance her social life.

Tombaugh, an Illinois native who has trained with the Sante Fe Opera, Utah Opera and Opera Theatre of St. Louis, has written and produced the show in addition to starring in it, according to her website, www.katetombaughproductions.com.

The website also said Tombaugh received degrees from both the Univeristy of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music and Illinois Wesleyan University, has placed as a finalist in Chicago’s Metropolitan Opera National Council auditions and received various praises for her work and talent.

In addition to the awards and degrees, Tombaugh has had her fair share of roles for opera performances, including solo appearances with the New Philharmonic, Evansville Philharmonic Orchestra and the Champaign-Urbana Symphony Orchestra.

The website said Tombaugh was inspired to create the show after a series of events that happened in her own life.

“After finishing a master’s degree in voice,” the website said, “singing kept her busy with travel, performances, auditions, working odd jobs and continued musical training. Dating hijinks, in this scenario, seemed unavoidable.”

The website said attendees can expect to relate to some of the personal stories Tombaugh will share during her performance, while adding music and humor to them.

Kaitlyn Holycross, a junior biological sciences major, said she thinks attending “It Takes Just One” will be a great way to celebrate Women’s History and Awareness month.

“Celebrating (Women’s History Month) is important because we have to recognize women for all of their achievements,” Holycross said. “Women weren’t given much credit in history because they did not have the same rights that women have today.”

Holycross said she is most excited to hear Tombaugh’s stories because she said she thinks they will be easy to relate to.

Tickets for the event are $10 for general admission and $5 for Eastern students and can be purchased online at www.eiu.edu/doudna or at the Box Office in Doudna.

Hannah Shillo can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].