Don’t let setbacks stunt your growth

Natalee Reynolds, Columnist

The last couple of weeks have been tough, but they have taught me that no matter what I face, I’m tougher.

Two weeks ago, my car brakes, gas and steering all went out while I was driving home from work. When it finally came to a stop, it had already shut off and would not start up again, so I got a ride and towed it to a nearby body shop.

A few days later, I was informed that I would have to replace the engine (which was worth more than the car itself), so I came to the conclusion that I would just buy another used car to get me through college.

While on the hunt, I was borrowing a car from my family and, just because of the luck that I seem to have with cops, I got pulled over for expired registration. And of course, I couldn’t find everything that the officer needed, so I drove away with two slips of yellow paper.

A few days later, I officially became a car owner (not a “new” car owner, but a car owner nonetheless) of a Subaru Outback, because I really just felt like I needed the thing that makes a Subaru a Subaru (if you don’t see what I did there, then you should go look up a Subaru commercial).

Also, my brother is a Subaru Ambassador, so that played a big role in the decision-making process.

So anyway, shortly after becoming a car owner, I found out that my old car just needed a replacement part that actually does not exceed the value of the car. And it was at that moment that I realized that life is absolutely full of surprises— good and bad ones (and although this should feel like a good surprise, it felt frustrating and stressful, given the circumstances).

But then I realized that life goes on.

I’m a car owner at age 19, and that feels pretty cool.

I am surrounded by people who love and support me.

And I realized that even though things happened unplanned and unexpectedly, I can grow through it. I am growing through it.

And I will continue to grow through what I go through, and I think that’s a really important message for anyone who is going through a tough time right now.

Don’t let your setbacks hold you back. Learn from them, grow through them. You are strong, and you will get through whatever life throws at you.

Natalee Reynolds is a sophomore English and creative writing major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].