Students share Valentine’s Day plans

Caitlyn Craig, Contributing Writer

Feb. 14 is a day that is commonly filled with candy, flowers and gifts.

According to the Britannica Encyclopedia, the holiday roots back to the 14th century, but the history behind it is not precisely known.

There are a handful of tales about the meaning behind why people celebrate this day, the most common being as a horary day for St. Valentine.

Valentine was a Roman Catholic saint that was martyred in the act of spreading love, according to the Britannica Encyclopedia.

As romance fills the air, students of Eastern are celebrating the holiday in various ways.

For junior history major Jack Channing, he said he is going “all out” to surprise his girlfriend, Taylor.

This Valentine’s Day is their two-year anniversary since meeting in their general education biology class at Eastern, he said.

“I hope (my girlfriend) doesn’t read this and it ruins the surprise,” Channing said with a laugh, “but I’m taking her to Taco Amigos because that’s where we had our first date.”

But there is nothing wrong with going on a simple date, like Molly Peart, a freshman early education major, who said she is going out with her boyfriend to Buffalo Wild Wings in Mattoon.

However, Valentine’s Day does not have to be celebrated so extravagantly, especially for college students with tightly packed schedules, like sophomore accounting major Jill Kennedy.

She said she is too busy with her studies to indulge in the sweet treats this holiday brings. Instead, she will be rushing around campus to attend her four classes.

“I have an 8 a.m. class and my last class ends at 4:15 p.m., so I don’t really have time for anything.” Kennedy said.

For many, a simple movie night seems to be a popular event.

Freshman English major Sam Hennegan said she is going to watch “Mean Girls” with her hedgehog while eating cake.

Freshman undecided major Nicolette Cuilotta said she is getting takeout with her boyfriend and having a movie marathon of their favorite films.

Freshman criminology major Monique Peterson said she is grabbing sushi at Fujiyama in Mattoon and watching a movie.

Moreover, some students are turning their Valentine’s Day into a self-love day.

Freshman sociology major Hannah Byer said she is going to take a well-deserved nap and love herself.

Jessica Nevius, a freshman family services major, said she is going to work out so she can have an excuse to scourge grocery stores of their discounted Valentine’s Day treats.

Kayla Messamore, a senior special education major, said she will spend the day with her Romeo, whose name is actually “Romeo,” a 5-year-old schnauzer, who loves to cuddle and sleep.

As for a freshman engineering major who is still taking general education classes, Jacob Thomas said he will responsibly be working on his English paper rather than going to see “The Prodigy” with his friends. “(My friends) invited me to go see (“The Prodigy”) because it’s a horror movie. That’s like the total opposite of the meaning of Valentine’s day, you know with all the love stuff, but if I don’t do this paper, it ain’t ever getting done,” Thomas said with a chuckle.

For students with no plans this Valentine’s Day, the Doudna Fine Arts Center is hosting an improv comedy show in the Dvorak Concert Hall starting at 7:30 p.m., and student tickets are only $10.

Caitlyn Craig can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].