Appreciate your family; they shaped you

Kristen Ed, Managing Editor

It’s amazing to think about the fact that each person has lived through their own experiences and walked a different path of life that brought them here. Some had a more favorable time growing up than others, but here we all are at Eastern, trying to live our best lives and pave the way for our futures.

For most students, living at college is their first experience away from home for an extended period of time, and now that it is the second semester, most of us living in the area are used to being away from family.

I know a lot of people who didn’t have the best life growing up. My own family encountered financial hardships that kept us from being able to afford the amenities that most of my peers had. I rarely got to eat out, we didn’t have cable, and I didn’t get my first cell phone until I was 17.

I also had some tense moments with my parents through history. Before I started college, I butt heads with them quite a bit, feeling restricted by their rules.

But now that I am older, I realize why my parents did what they did—it was because they loved me more than themselves.

And, of course, they always will love me. My family has been so supportive of my numerous issues, whether they be related to academics, relationships, mental health or anything else. I am so thankful for that.

Recently, my mother told me she bought me puzzle-type toys when I was young so that I could learn to problem solve from an early age. Growing up, I was encouraged to work hard and apply myself in every duty. My mom helped me find scholarships when I got older, and she has sat down with me the past few years to walk me through doing my taxes (which I still admittedly struggle with).

In this regard, I would say I had it easier than most students at Eastern, because I do not know many people whose parents helped them become motivated, hard-working adults (Or at least, not with success—no offense).

But regardless of how you were raised and the person you turned out to be, your family had your best interests in mind, and that is something that should not be forgotten simply because you live hours away from them now.

So call your mom, dad, sister, brother, whoever—and tell them you love them. Tell them how your day off from school went. Ask them how their lives are going. Or better yet, pay them a visit and let them know how much they mean to you.

I plan to use the skills and lessons I learned from my family members to live the best life I can. No one’s childhood was ideal, but none of us could have made it this far on our own. Thanks, fam.

Kristen Ed is a senior journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].