Alternatives to fad dieting presented at informational

Valentina Vargas, Multicultural Reporter

Certain types of fad diets for weight loss are leading people into eating unhealthy balanced meals.

Lindsey Eigsti, the nutrition promotion coordinator at the Health Education Resource Center, held an information session at the Effingham Room in the Martin Luther King Jr. Union regarding fad diets.

The event was called “Forget the Fad Diet,” which she said was not geared toward promoting any diets or shaming those who are dieting.

Eigsti informed students that fad diets are diets that lead to fast weight loss, but they also lead to quick weight rebound.

“(Fad diets) promote super rapid weight loss in a matter of months,” Eigsti said. “They can tell you ‘Oh, you’re going to lose a lot of pounds in just two months,’ so it’s just this kind of diet idea that weight loss is easy, even though most of us know that it’s not that easy.”

She said a way of recognizing a fad diet is by asking oneself, ‘does the diet ask people to eliminate one or several food groups?’

Eigsti said if the diet does, then people need to remember that food groups exist for a reason and that a person needs to get nutrients from them.

Emma Donogmue, junior environmental sciences major, said some of the information presented was enlighting, but with social media, some of it is already known.

“I think people hear what (Eigsti) says, but still probably won’t listen to it,” Donogmue said. “They want a quick fix when it comes to weight loss.”

During the presentation, Eigsti said one of the most trending fad diets at the moment is the “Keto” diet, which is another version of a diet known as “low carbohydrates, high fat.”

She said the “low carbohydrates, high fat” diet consists of eating 60 percent of high fat, which is two times the recommended amount, and eating low carbohydrates, making up only 10 percent of calories. 

“Some of the big side affects with this kind of diet would be headaches and irritability,” Eigsti said.

Two key points Eigsti said that help people lose weight healthily is having balanced mindful meals and moving more. 

Donogmue said if she were to stay home more, she would be eating unbalanced meals, however, she does not restrict much of what she eats.

“I think the more you work out a lot, the more it influences you to eat healthy,” Donogmue said.

In one of the handouts titled “Eat Right,” from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietics, it listed 20 ways to enjoy fruits and vegetables in a meal.

One of the suggested ways is to grill a colorful kabob of colorful veggies, and another one entails mixing up a breakfast smoothie, according to the handout from the AND.

At the end of the demonstration, Eigsti gave other helpful tips about eating healthier.

She informed attendees about different serving sizes; for example, a CD disc equals 1-2 pancake servings.

At the HERC’s page on Eastern’s website, Eigsti said it offers free health consultations to students via appointment if they would like to learn more.

Valentina Vargas can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].