Panthers swim teams look forward after loss to Ball State

Dillan Schorfheide

Eastern freshman Jaylan Butler prepares to jump into the pool during a meet against Saint Louis on Oct. 19. Eastern men and women’s teams both lost to Ball State this past weekend.

Eric Hendrix, Swim Reporter

The men’s and women’s swimming teams received a loss at their meet last Friday against Ball State. The Eastern men lost to Ball State 180.5-113.5, while the women lost 204-77.

Senior swimmer Lauren Oostman competed in the medley relay, 100-yard backstroke, 200-yard backstroke, 200-yard individual medley. Oostman earned second place honors in the 200-yard backstroke. She briefly reflected on the meet.

“We didn’t win obviously, but I think the times we had were pretty good considering we max squatted on Wednesday and we had really hard practices so I think it went pretty well,” Oostman said. “For me personally, I thought my 200 back went pretty well, I went a season best and I’ve been having shoulder issues lately, so that was the first time I’ve swam it since I’ve had that shoulder issue, so it went well for me.”

She went on to mention looking forward to the upcoming weekend long House of Champs meet. 

“I’m very excited, it’s crazy how close it is already, I think the season has flown by, but I’m ready for it,” Oostman said. “I think the team is very ready for house of champs; the freshmen are all very excited, and I’m excited to see them thrive.”

She also spoke about her own personal goals for the meet.

“My goals are just to get down to my best times. Last year I broke the 200 back record at this meet, so I’m hoping to knock it down a little bit again this year,” Oostman said.

Sophomore swimmer Scott House earned first place honors in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle against Ball State. He reflected on the meet as well.

“We swam pretty well for the most part; we suffered a little in the depth, which hurt us, but we put up some good times for where we are at,” House said.

He went on to mention a standout performance by Greg Hample, who came in first in both the 1,000-yard freestyle and 500-yard freestyle.

“It’s good for our mental state to walk away from a meet that didn’t go our way with a win,” House said.

He also spoke about looking forward to the upcoming meet and performances of his teammates. 

“I think we’ll do good, and I’m excited to see how some of the freshmen do,” House said.

Eric Hendrix can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].