Panthers prepare to swim against Ball State

Dillan Schorfheide

Eastern freshman Jarod Farrow swims in a meet against Saint Louis on Oct. 19 in Lantz Arena. The Panthers travel to Ball State this weekend for a meet.

Eric Hendrix, Swim Reporter

The men’s and women’s swimming teams are getting ready take on Ball State on Friday at 4 p.m. The team will be traveling to Indiana to face them at their pool.

After splitting a victory with Valparaiso at their last meet, the men will look for their second win of the season while the women look for their first. Jaylan Butler is a freshman swimmer who earned his first individual first-place finish in the 50m-butterfly against Valparaiso. Butler spoke briefly about the team’s performance in the last meet.

“It was a good meet, everyone swam really good and the energy on the pool deck was like some things I’ve haven’t had, ever,” Butler said.

He went on to mention some things he’d like to see carried over from the last meet.

“For this meet this weekend I definitely want to have the same intensity I had this last meet,” Butler said. “As far like the deck energy, if we can get the same deck energy for this meet I definitely think we will all swim better because having people hype around you just makes you want to do better.”

He also spoke about going up against Ball State.

“They got some fast guys but nothing we can’t handle,” Butler said. “I’m feeling pretty good about it, I know I want to see what I can do in this 100m-fly and hopefully put out a season best time.”

Race Archibald is a sophomore swimmer who earned a first-place finish in the 200m-medley relay against Valparaiso along with Forrest Baumgartner, Ivan Escott, and Scott House.

“It was good; the guys’ team won, but the girls’ team just fell short, but it was a close fight for them,” Archibald said. “It was great energy for us. It was our first dual meet win for the guys.”

He also talked about his preparation for the next meet and expectations moving forward.

“Just getting my mind right, it’ll be at Ball State and we haven’t raced them yet and haven’t been in their pool,” Archibald said. “I’ve been having a great year, so I just want to keep getting better with my times and hopefully go another season best. I know it’s a pretty lofty goal, but that’s something I’m going to strive for every meet that we have.”

Junior swimmer Rachel Manderscheid competed in the medley relay, 100m-breaststroke, 50m-breaststroke and 50m-butterfly against Valparaiso. Manderscheid finished first in both the 50m-breaststroke and 100m-breaststroke. She reflected briefly on the meet.

“It was definitely one of my best meets of the season. Throughout the season I’ve continually seen time drops in all my events, so that’s really exciting to see,” Manderscheid said.

She went on to mention her struggles with injury and excitement to compete against Ball State

“At the beginning of the year when I swam my 200m-breaststroke I had an injury to my groin and it’s all better now, so I’m excited to swim that again without an injury and hoping for a good time,” Manderscheid said.

She also spoke about her team’s growth over the years and the atmosphere they are establishing.

“In the three years I’ve been here, I think that not only as a women’s team, but as a men and women’s team, this is the best we’ve ever been, not only physically, but mentally, I think we’re killing it,” Manderscheid said. “Inside of the pool or outside of the pool, I really like the energy our freshmen have brought this year and our seniors have helped cultivate this year.”

Eric Hendrix can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]