9 students set to perform in drag show

Corryn Brock, Associate News Editor

A student drag show will be held at 7 p.m. on Tuesday in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Nine students will perform in drag during the event.

Jovan Williams, a sophomore music performance major, will be performing “Anaconda” by Nicki Minaj and “S&M” by Rihanna as their drag persona, Lady Deviant. This is their second year participating in the event.

Williams and Grace Osborn, a sophomore clinical laboratory science major, said the drag show showcases diversity on campus.

“It’s all about diversity,” Osborn said. “For people like me who are from small towns, I think it’s a really cool way to show them what a drag show is really like.”

This will be Osborn’s first performance in drag, and she will be performing “My, My, My” by Troye Sivan and “Girls Girls Boys” by Panic! At The Disco as her drag persona, Mode.

Williams said even though they are already a confident person, participating in the drag show brings out more confidence in them.

“For two or three minutes I get to be someone else who I don’t typically get to be every day,” Williams said. “That’s pretty cool.”

Williams said they are looking forward to partaking in the event and seeing everyone in attendance.

“It’s a great opportunity. Be open minded when walking into it,” Williams said. “Have lots of fun.”

Osborn said she hopes those who come out have fun while they are there.

“Overall it’s just about having a really good time,” Osborn said.

Admission to the event is $3. Raffle tickets will be sold for $1, and those who come to the event in a costume or dressed in drag will receive a free ticket. Attendees are encouraged to tip the performers involved.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].