10 things to do to make fall fun for anyone

Natalee Reynolds, Columnist

’Tis the season for flannels, bonfires, pumpkin spice lattes, red and yellow and orange leaves, football games and fun fall dates.

This is also the time when seasonal depression can kick in for some of you. To help out with that, I have come up with a list of ten fun date night/GNO ideas.

1. Visit a pumpkin patch.

There is a 200-acre pumpkin patch in Arthur, which is only about a 40-minute drive from here, where visitors can see and buy pumpkins, gourds and squash. They have a variety of mazes, hay rides, and pens of different exotic farm animals to see. There’s also food, drinks, and lots of different forms of entertainment on the weekends. It’s the perfect pumpkin patch date!

2. Carve/decorate/paint a pumpkin.

You can buy a pumpkin from almost anywhere during this time of year—if you visit the Great Pumpkin Patch in Arthur, you could buy one there, too. Then the carving, decorating, and/or painting is simply up to your imagination!

3. Visit a haunted house.

There are haunted houses everywhere—and if you feel up to a little road trip, you can pay to go to bigger and scarier haunted houses in Champaign. Grab your friends and get scared!

4. Go to a wine tasting.

—But only if you’re of age! There are a few local vineyards that you can go to. This is a typical fall-themed date that almost anyone can enjoy.

5. Watch a football game.

Saturdays are actually for college football—and there’s no better time to watch a football game than this Saturday. It’s the homecoming game against the UT Martin Skyhawks.

6. Go hiking.

Charleston Lake or Fox Ridge are great local places to enjoy the colorful leaves and changing of nature. You can go with anyone, but sometimes it’s nice to enjoy nature alone. Sitting and spending time outdoors is a great way to clear your head and reconnect with yourself.

7. Host a picnic.

You can do this anywhere— at the park, at the lake or fox ridge, at one of the quads on campus, or even in your backyard. All you need is a blanket, some sandwiches (or whatever kind of food you prefer) and a good friend to enjoy it with.

8. Watch scary movies.

The new “Halloween” movie is supposed to come out just in time for Halloween, if you prefer going to a theater. If you don’t feel like leaving your room though, there’s always a whole category dedicated to scary movies on Netflix. Some of my personal favorites on Netflix are The Conjuring and Hush.

9. Go on a coffee date.

Although you can go on a coffee date at any time during the year, coffee dates are especially nice in the fall. For those of you who believe pumpkin spice lattes are totally overrated, you may be right, but they are truly delicious and deserve that recognition. But if PSL’s aren’t really your thing, then a hot chocolate is always a good idea, too!

10. Cozy up next to a bonfire.

There’s just something about chilly fall nights and cozying up next to a fire, surrounded by good company. All you need to do is build a fire, grab some chairs and blankets and enjoy a good time.

It’s fall, y’all. Get out there and enjoy it before the cold sets in—I know I will.

Natalee Reynolds is a sophomore English and creative writing major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at

[email protected].