Calling ‘shotgun’ can be dangerous

Natalee Reynolds, Columnist

Normally I try to write columns in hopes of inspiring people to live their lives to the fullest and to chase after what they really want in life, instead of letting my inner ramblings come out—however, this is an exception.

To start this rant for anyone who doesn’t know what ‘shotgun’ means—it is a goofy term to call dibs on the front passenger seat. This term is especially nice to call when you’re with a larger group of people crammed into one car.

If anyone has seen the show called ‘The Office,’ the office manager Michael Scott adds to this rule: you can only call shotgun when the car is visible.

So with that being said, calling shotgun is kind of a big deal, and the rule is that whoever calls it first, gets the front seat.

Now, not to be dramatic or anything, but if someone calls shotgun and you have the audacity to steal their seat and fight to the near death to get to the front seat, then you deserve the worst.

I recently had an incident where I had called shotgun and ran to the car to try and get the front seat. Another person I was with had then realized what was happening, and simultaneously, they too, started running as fast as possible in a race to get to shotgun.

The race was short-lived, though. But it was also a fight (almost) to the death.

I reached the car first, opened the door, had my left leg inside the car, almost sitting, when my friend (enemy, in this case) grabbed the back of my shirt, yanked me out, wedged herself between the open car door and myself, and slyly sat in the front seat, closing and locking the door for extra protection.

In this moment, I was absolutely bewildered and struck from utter shock. How could my friend do this to me? I called shotgun. I was inches away from sitting happily in the seat when she pulled me out and stole my claimed seat—how could this have happened?

Accepting my defeat and knowing there was nothing more I could do, I climbed in the backseat and I thought to myself, “how on earth could a silly game like calling shotgun get so intense?” Well, because normally, calling ‘shotgun’ is taken very seriously and respected.

For those of you wondering, I did forgive her for that significant betrayal, and we’re still great friends—although I have witnessed shotgun calls ruin friendships.

To conclude this little rant of mine, everyone knows that there are a few cardinal rules in life: treating people how you want to be treated, you are the key to your own happiness, don’t compare yourself to others, and always, always respect shotgun.

Natalee Reynolds is a sophomore English and creative writing major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].