ROCFest: Residence halls play trivia

Jordan Boyer | The Daily Eastern News

Jovan Williams, a sophomore music performance major and vice president of community engagment at the Residence Hall Association, laughs with the crowd during Rocfest trivia night Monday afternoon in the Pemberton Great Room.

Hannah Shillo, Staff Reporter

Emma Dambek, a senior history major, and Mariah Slaughter, a junior sociology major, try to figure out the answer to a question at the Rocfest trivia night Monday afternoon in the Pemberton Great Room. They were on the Lincoln Hall team.
Jordan Boyer | The Daily Eastern News

Trivia night kicked off the beginning of ROCFest on Monday night in the Great Room of Pemberton Hall.

Team members of the residence halls on campus gathered at 5 p.m. to compete for points that will add to their total for the whole week.

The first game played was based on the players’ knowledge of movies.

It asked players to identify which characters said certain quotes and showed pictures asking what movie took place in the photos.

McKinney Hall team members won this game, while Pemberton Hall came in second, and Thomas Hall in third place.

Amber Bradfield, president of McKinney Hall and sophomore accounting major, said she and her teammates did not prepare for the game.

“It was kind of like a big wing thing,” she said.

After the first round, everyone decided to play another game to earn more points for their teams.

The second game was based on Disney trivia, however, most of the questions asked were based on the knowledge of Walt Disney himself, rather than the movies associated with his name.

Thomas Hall took the lead and won this round, with McKinney Hall in second place and Lawson Hall in third place.

Ryan Moore, president of Thomas Hall and freshman history major, joked that he had been preparing for this throughout his entire life.

Samuel Damon, vice president of Thomas Hall and freshman accounting major, said the second round of trivia was harder because “it was all Disney-based things that no one would have known.”

Bradfield said the first game was easier than the second.

“I watch a lot of movies,” she said. “You see Disney and you think, ‘I grew up on Disney,’ so I was not expecting that.”

The McKinney Hall team still earned points for the second game, though, because they ended in second place for that round.

“It’s going to give my girls very high hopes,” Bradfield said. “They are competitive girls, so they’re probably going to show more excitement, which is good for them. A lot of my girls are first years, so it’s really exciting for me to help them out and show them that we are winning and improving.”

Since Thomas Hall placed third in the first round and first in the second round, they earned points for both games as well.

“The second round was pretty hard,” Moore said. “(The first game) had really easy hints on screen.”

Damon said he thinks winning the second round was a good start for Thomas Hall for the week.

“We got disqualified from hall decorations because we forgot something,” he said. “But I think it’s a good starting ground for the week. I definitely think it’s going to snowball into a good year.”

Hannah Shillo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].