Stay motivated, stay organized

Natalee Reynolds, Columnist

Although we’ve only been in school for a month, this is the time when we start getting big tests in all of our classes. We start getting tired of doing homework every night, and we start to feel things pile up.

Everyone can get stressed out—especially those with a large work/school load. Sometimes I myself can get extremely stressed out, but I have come up with a short list of things to keep myself going, even when things start getting tough.

1. Make lists.

This sounds silly, but do it—I promise it helps. Make a list of things you have yet to do, and throw in some things that you have already done to make it a little easier. We all can have lists of things to do that seem like they go on for miles and miles, and that can be frustrating and discouraging. So, write down things you’ve already done, like “Get out of bed,” check. “Brush teeth,” check. “Go to class,” check.

2. Do your homework.

Just do it. Start somewhere and do it. Stop procrastinating, it’s just going to add more stress in your life. And if you have a ton of homework to do, then just work on it a little bit at a time. It’s okay to work for ten minutes at a time, as long as you’re being productive.

3. Take breaks.

I don’t mean work on your homework for ten minutes, then scroll through Instagram for thirty minutes and not get your work done. I mean go for a walk if you’re getting writer’s block. Make a Starbucks run and get some coffee for brain food (or I suppose it’d be a brain drink). Clean your room—I promise it will make you more inspired and re-motivate you to be more productive.

4. Set goals and reward yourself.

When I say this, I mean to set realistic goals. If you’re an average student, aim for at least B’s this semester, and when you get an A, reward yourself. Go out and do something you’ve been wanting to do, or celebrate with your friends. Set small goals too though, to keep yourself accountable. When you get that homework done, then binge watch that series on Netflix you’ve been wanting to finish.

5. Remember why you’re here.

You’ve been in school for the last twelve or more years, and you’ve only got a few more left—and these classes are what really matters. This is the start of your career. You are learning to be an expert in your field, so remember that your hard work will soon pay off.

And remember too, that it’s okay to cry. It’s okay to feel too stressed out and want to spend all day in bed and wallow in our sorrows and stress—but you’ve got to get up at some point. Cry, let it out. And then pick yourself up and get going.

College is tough, but you’re tougher. Hang in there and remember that your hard work will pay off.

Natalee Reynolds is a sophomore English and

creative writing major. She can be reached at

581-2812 or at [email protected].