Faculty Senate to discuss subcommittees

Brooke Schwartz, News Editor

The Faculty Senate will meet at 2 p.m. Wednesday in conference foom 4440 in Booth Library.

The senate will look at how they are organized and what their college representation should look like after the transition of colleges on campus.

Combining subcommittees, which was discussed at the senate’s Sept. 4 meeting, will be re-looked at.

Senators are considering combining the elections and the nominations committees, which would still consist of  3 people including the vice chair.

The other possible combination is the student faculty and faculty staff relations committees into one group called the external relations committee which would also include three people.

That would leave two members for the faculty forum subcommittee, three on the awards committee and three liaisons.

Billy Hung, the senate recorder and a biological sciences professor, said combining during the Sept. 4 meeting that combining subcommittees makes sense.

“The more we can streamline the standing committees, the more human resources we have to tackle these as needed types of task,” Hung said.

The senate also discussed a possible combination of the awards committee and the faculty

forum committee, but that discussion was tabled until a more permanent decision was made on the fate of the forum committee regarding the newly approved presidential lecture series.

Updates on the shared governance discussion, which took place during the Council on Academic Affairs meeting, will be provided to the senate as well.

Zachary Newell, the new dean of booth library who started on Aug. 1, 2018, will be presenting an update to the senate during their meeting.

Brooke Schwartz can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].