Children to spend day at ‘Castle’

Mercury Bowen, Entertainment Reporter

Families in the community as well as those on campus will be given the opportunity to participate in Kids Day at the Castle Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon.

However, since it is expected to rain, Kids Day will be inside of Buzzard Hall.

The Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteerism partnered with WEIU to present the program.

Crystal Brown, the assistant director of civic engagement, said the program is a chance for people to come to campus to learn about different organizations and opportunities as well as ways children can get involved in the community.

“It’s a great free event,” Brown said.

The event will include inflatables, arts and crafts, games, music and bicycle giveaways for a boy and a girl.

Another part of the event is the Touch A Truck program, which gives children the opportunity to see and sit in a fire truck, a school bus, an ambulance and a police car.

Beth Gillespie, the interim director of civic engagement, said the Touch A Truck program is very popular.

“When you’re four or five, you’re like, ‘Whoa, a fire engine! How Cool!’” Gillespie said.

Daniel Tiger from the show Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood will be available for photos and meet-and-greets.

“I’ve learned that (Daniel Tiger is) apparently pretty popular these days,” Gillespie said. “Hopefully he’s not more popular than Billy the Panther, but we’ll see.”

Groups such as Douglas-Hart Nature Center and Big Brothers Big Sisters will be in attendance to offer information to attendees along with tumbling and martial arts places.

While the event has not happened for a few years, Gillespie said she is confident it will be a big hit.

“We’re excited to be partnering with WEIU to bring this back,” Gillespie said.

Brown said in the past, the student volunteers said Kids Day at the Castle was one of the most fun events.

“It’s just something that they really enjoyed and always talked about from a volunteer perspective, then also from the kids in the community, how much fun they had at it,” Brown said.

“We’re just excited to see that energy from both perspectives and help bring that (community and university) piece together.”

Gillespie said she thinks the event is a good one for the community.

“It helps bring the campus and the community together in a different way,” Gillespie said. “Everybody’s having fun.”

Mercury Bowen can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].