Comedian laughs it up with students

Jaylen Harrison

Comedian Barry Brewer laughs with audience Friday night during his comedy show in the 7th Street Underground of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Mercury Bowen, Entertainment Reporter

Comedian Barry Brewer took the stage at the 7th Street Underground Friday night to a round of applause from the audience.

Brewer began his show by bringing up how talking to people in public has changed.

With a crowd of more than 100 students, Brewer also interacted with the audience, speaking directly to several audience members and asking where students were from.

Throughout the show, Brewer discussed topics such as family life with siblings, feminine products, thrill seekers and the difference between beauty and ugliness.

What Brewer said he loves most about being a comedian is making people smile and laugh.

“I used to like to laugh as a kid a lot,” Brewer said. “My grandma used to call me ‘Giggles.’”

Brewer said he loved the energy and the hospitality he felt during his performance at Eastern. He said he enjoyed how interactive and invested the audience was.

“Whatever you had to give them as a performer they were open and ready to join in with you,” Brewer said.

If he were to perform again at Eastern, Brewer said he would want it to be an even better show and would expound upon everything that went positively.

According to University Board Chair Dallas Lancenese, the event was a success, attracting an even bigger audience than last year’s comedy events.

“I really hope this is the excitement and the hype throughout the year because it’s really nice for people to come out and enjoy themselves,” Lancenese said.

Not only did Brewer perform comedy and jokes, he also offered words of encouragement to students beginning the school year.

“You don’t want to be found doing something that you don’t love,” Brewer said. “This is a great place to find what you’re meant to do.”

Brewer paused during the show speak to Samantha Hurd, a freshman family and consumer sciences major, about following her dream of becoming a fashion designer.

Hurd said she has wanted to be a fashion designer since she was a little girl, and hearing words of encouragement from Brewer made her feel better about her career choice.

“It really helps me combat against the people who don’t believe in me, because it motivates me more,” Hurd said.

Brewer said he believes it is important for someone in a position of influence such as his to utilize that platform to be inspiring and encouraging.

“When you leave, their lives (are) better from something you did or said while you had their attention,” Brewer said.

The most difficult thing to face when following one’s dream is the unknown, according to Brewer.

“You wonder about tomorrow, if I’ll make it, if I’ll get there,” Brewer said. “I’ve learned to believe despite anything.”

As a performer, Brewer said he believes entertaining and inspiring people is what he is meant to do.

“I learned early on that making people laugh is a gift that God has given me, and that it’s not just for me,” Brewer said. “It’s something I love to do, so when someone’s enjoying it with you it’s a great experience for everybody.”

Mercury Bowen can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].