Alpha Sigma Alpha, Sigma Sigma Sigma move on to next round of Tugs

Molly Dotson

The Alpha Sigma Alpha tugs team walks the rope backward moments before pulling a couple members of the competing sorority, Alpha Phi, into the water. They won the second and final round of tugs for the day.

Olivia Swenson-Hultz, Associate News Editor

The sun shone as sororities lined up on opposite sides of the Campus Pond, attempting to haul their way to victory at the second round of Tugs on Wednesday afternoon.

Sororities Sigma Sigma Sigma and Alpha Sigma Tau competed against each other for the first match, with Sigma Sigma Sigma triumphing.

Members of Sigma Sigma Sigma participate in the second heat of Tugs, a traditional sporting event put on for Eastern’s Greek Week. Sigma Sigma Sigma won against Alpha Sigma Tau with a time of two minutes and seven seconds.
Angelica Cataldo

During the second round of Tugs, Alpha Phi and Alpha Sigma Alpha battled it out, with Alpha Sigma Alpha coming out on top.

Sandra Ortega, a sophomore finance major, is a member of Sigma Sigma Sigma,  which won the first Tugs round in two minutes and seven seconds.

She said practicing involved a lot of ab workouts, running and rope work.

“It feels good to win. It was a lot of work and took a lot of practice,” Ortega said.

Eliza Perez, a senior communication disorders and sciences major, is a member of the winning team of the second Tugs match, Alpha Sigma Alpha, which finished in one minute and forty seconds.

“Being out there is pretty intense. It pushes you to your limit. You can’t hear very much,” Perez said. “Winning feels great, but we still have another round to go.”

Jessica Clearwater, a freshman chemistry major, is a member of Alpha Phi, who found themselves knee-deep in the Campus Pond when competing against  Alpha Sigma Alpha.

“It was nerve-wracking. We went in confident, but it obviously didn’t work out, but that’s OK,” Clearwater said.

Lauren Olsen, a junior nursing major and a member of  Alpha Phi said she was pumped to participate in the competition  after preparing two days a week for three months.

“We practiced for days in the snow. It involved a lot of cardio, wall sits and Indian runs,” Olsen said.

Rebecca Cash, a junior public relations major and the Tugs coordinator, said preparing for Tugs involved many different people, meetings with team captains and weigh-ins with team members, with women’s teams required to be under 1,320 pounds and the men’s teams under 2,120 pounds.

“It’s weird to be on the other side of the competition. I know how much hard work goes into it so it’s fun to watch,” said Cash, who participated in Tugs her freshman and sophomore year.

Cash said the rope used in the competition was purchased off of Amazon. It weighs at least 100 pounds.

She said committee members prepped the rope for the competition by spray-painting it red.

Olivia Swenson-Hultz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]