Television, Radio and Video Job Fair set for Thursday

Andrew Paisley, Campus Reporter

Television, radio and video production companies from all over the Midwest will be at the annual Television, Radio and Video Job Fair from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday in the University Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

The fair is hosted by the department of communication studies and WEIU TV/FM.

Formerly known as the Broadcast Job Fair, the Television, Radio and Video Job Fair is for students who want to work in audiovisual media production as on-the-air talent or in promotions, according to a press release.

Dan Crews, interim director of programming, publicity and promotions, said the fair is a great thing for students to attend.

“This job fair is a great opportunity for those who are interested in a career in the mass communication profession,” Crews said. “It is a way for students to market themselves and interact with professionals.”

During the job fair, students will be able to inquire about jobs, internships and network with potential employers, Crews said.

Cassady Jackson, a member of the planning committee, said she attended the job fair last year.

“It was cool to see all of the different employers in one place,” Jackson said. “Although I did not apply for any jobs while I was there, it was nice to talk with professionals in my field and to gain some experience with dealing with those professionals.”

The event will connect students to industry professionals from over a dozen media companies from television, such as NBC Sports Chicago and Nexstar Broadcasting, radio companies such as the Cromwell Group and Neuhoff Media and various production companies.

“This event provides that critical face-to-face connection with top-notch media organizations who are actively looking to employ Eastern students,” said communication studies professor Scott Walus. “In a two-hour span, students can meet with television, radio and video production companies from all over the state.”

Before his retirement in 2017, Mike Bradd, associate chair of the department of communication studies, coordinated the fair to great success, according to Walus.

“After his retirement, the department and WEIU wanted to carry on the tradition of having this job fair,” Walus said.

Andrew Paisley can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].