Bell, Davis discuss taxes during candidate forum

Olivia Swenson-Hultz | The Daily Eastern News

Terry Davis and Shirley Bell, discuss their campaign plans prior to the primary election for the 110th State District Representative, Thursday night in the Coleman Lecture Hall.

Olivia Swenson-Hultz, Associate News Editor

Shirley Bell, a candidate for the democratic nomination for state representative for the 110th District, and Terry Davis, a candidate for the republican nomination for the state representative, discussed their stance on taxes and the legalization of marijuana during a candidate forum in Coleman Hall Tuesday.

Chris Miller, a candidate for the republican nomination, declined to show up.

In regards to taxes, Davis said he does not support the progressive income tax because it penalizes people who have become successful.

“The idea that a fair tax means that some people have to pay a significantly higher percentage just isn’t fair water,” he said.

Terry Davis and Shirley Bell, discuss their primary campaigns for representative of the 110th state district, Thursday night in the Coleman Lecture Hall.

He said this would help make Illinois a more friendly place to start businesses.

“By lowering the rate we can fix the state,” he said.

Bell said the state needs to take a look at the entire tax burden as a whole. She said she is in support of a graduated tax so that people who are most wealthy and have prospered most from the state contribute the most to the state.

“People become most wealthy by using the resources from the state,” she said.

Regarding the income tax increase, Davis said in some ways making it go away entirely is a fantasy, but the state needs to look for ways to economize.

When addressing the high property taxes in Illinois, Davis said the funding for schools needs to be generated without having an increase in property taxes.

“If people are concerned about property taxes and are comparing them to other states, Illinois is going to lose,” he said.

Bell said she agreed that funding the schools through property taxes is not an effective tactic and that the state should focus on funding schools through state taxes.

Other topics raised during the forum included the legalization of marijuana and Bell said she supports it but that age restrictions and other regulations should be put in order.

She said legalization could be used to help save money on law enforcement.

Davis said he does support the legalization of marijuana and that it could be used to help generate revenue for the state.

“We have a black market that exists, but let’s face it, people are smoking marijuana,” he said.

Davis said marijuana could be used to create local jobs for farmers, and regulating it could help avoid the use of pesticides and chemicals in its production,

Additionally, Davis would like to see the state save money by cutting the salaries of legislators.

“We can’t afford to throw money around,” he said.

Bell and Davis said they are both in support of equal rights for the LGBTQ community as well mental health reform.

“Downstate Illinois is in need of better mental health care,” Bell said.

“Communities need to look at what they can do to support our students.”

Davis said mental health services need to be made more readily available.

“The same tragedy could happen at a mall anywhere. We need to be able to prevent this from happening. We can’t fortify everywhere,” Davis said regarding the most recent Florida high school shooting.

Davis is the business owner of Towne Square Jewelers while Bell is a retired Communication Studies professor at Eastern.

Olivia Swenson-Hultz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].