Find your calling, chase your dream

Natalee Reynolds, Columnist

My whole life, I have dreamt of being a teacher. Even before my adolescent age, I have known that I want to change lives and become a teacher.

The summer after I graduated high school, I started to have cold feet about going to college and about my career choice. I started to second guess everything I was doing and had done, almost to the point where I didn’t go to college.

I’m here now, though, and I am the happiest I’ve been in my life (also the most stressed out, but the happiness seems to outweigh that most days). I am working towards my dreams, I am doing things that make me happy and I am surrounded by love from my dear friends and sisters here.

This semester in college, I am taking what is essentially an introduction to education course. Last Friday, I had my first day of classroom observations in a small high school located in Fairfield, Illinois. On that particular morning, though, the cold feet set in again.

I was absolutely terrified. But excited. I was completely nervous, but I was happy to be there. Every inch of my body trembled on the inside, and I was full of anxiety.

I remember standing outside of Miss Kiefer’s classroom for a few minutes, waiting on the bell to ring for the next passing period. I remember standing there and feeling my heart pound in my chest. I remember knowing that I was doing the right thing by being there, but there was a little voice inside my head that tried to convince me that this was a mistake, and that there is something else out there for me.

The moment I walked into Miss Kiefer’s classroom, though, I felt at home. Seeing the familiar face of my former—and favorite—high school teacher and her classroom was the most comforting feeling. I envisioned it being my classroom, and, in that moment, I knew that this was exactly where I was supposed to be.

By the end of the day, all of what was terrified in me turned into inspiration, pure exhilaration and complete blissfulness.

I know that becoming a teacher is my calling in life—this is what I was born to do. And by becoming a teacher, I am going to help my students grow in every way possible. Each of my students are little seeds, and I am going to teach them to dig their roots deep into the earth and sprout into the most significant versions of themselves.

If there is someone out there reading this column, remember that you too are a seedling. You are strong enough to sprout tall, even through tiny cracks of sidewalks.

If following your dreams absolutely terrifies you and excites you at the same time, then you’re following the right dream. Do not let your fear stop you. Do not let that little voice in your head scare you away from doing what you are made to do in this life.

You are incredible—every inch of you. Use all that you are to follow your dreams, and let nothing stop you.

Natalee Reynolds is a freshman English language arts major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].