Bowls of HOPE fundraiser to support domestic violence survivors

Dolapo Adeyemo, Contributing Writer

A local organization in East Central Illinois that fights against domestic violence and provides shelter to survivors and their children will host its annual Bowls of HOPE fundraiser on Tuesday Feb. 27.

The fundraiser will be from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Wesley United Methodist Church, at 2206 Fourth St.

Althea Pendergast, the executive director of Housing, Outreach, Prevention and Education, said this is the fifteenth annual Bowls of HOPE.

“We have provided support to survivors for 35 years and currently serve Coles, Cumberland, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, Moultrie and Shelby counties,” she said.

HOPE’s services are aimed toward decreasing violence in the community and helping people live independent, non-violent lives. These services range from outreach education efforts in local schools, to referrals and counseling designed to empower victims.

Pendergast said the money raised from the fundraiser will go toward providing these much-needed services to survivors of domestic violence.

It was reported that more than 600 survivors of domestic violence received services from HOPE, and more than 150 survivors were safely sheltered last year.

The organization maintains two housing programs, an emergency shelter and transitional housing through local apartments.

Bowls of HOPE will feature a soup dinner, sides, drinks and sweets from volunteers, local businesses and handcrafted bowls from community artists. There will also be a live musical performance by Five Mile Train and a dessert auction.

The event is family-friendly and open to the public.

Participants will be able to purchase the soup dinner for $5 and will also have the option of choosing one of several donated bowls and soup for $15.

Bowls have been donated by local artists and other HOPE supporters. All the soups are donated by local restaurants, Pendergast said.

“Several people are helping out with the event, including Eastern Illinois University students and the Boy Scouts,” she said.

To purchase a ticket, those interested can contact Pendergast at HOPE by calling 217-348-5931,  visit the website HOPE-eci.org or find them on Facebook.

Dolapo Adeyemo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].