Upright Citizens Brigade to perform improv comedy at Eastern

Analicia Haynes, Managing Editor

Audience members can celebrate Valentine’s Day with some improv comedy as The Upright Citizens Brigade Touring Company performs at 7:30 p.m. in the Dvorak Concert Hall of the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

The 90-minute show is unscripted, improvised and based on audience feedback.

Dan Crews, the interim director of programming, publicity and promotions at the Doudna, said the show is something that has never been seen before and will never be seen again.

When the Doudna invites groups or people to perform, they look for two things, Crews said.

The first is to put on a great performance, and the second is the opportunity for an interaction between the performers and students who might be interested in performing.

Crews said the Upright Citizens Brigade has been great to work with, and even offered to host a workshop for students who are interested in improv.

This gives students the opportunity to learn and “pick the brains” of the performers by asking questions such as how they got to the position they are in, he said.

Two student groups, Hello Dali and Lunchbox Voodoo, will open for the Upright Citizens Brigade.

“It’s a great opportunity for our students to learn from people who are actually making a living from doing their craft,” Crews said. “We love to have the opportunity to get them in front of our students and also to area schools in the community, and occasionally we take groups to senior centers or just out in the community to just get them to share what they do.”

Before the show, those who brought tickets can sit down at a Valentine’s Day-themed dinner.

The idea behind the dinner was not meant to be romantic, rather more convenient for couples celebrating Valentine’s Day so they do not have to eat somewhere else before the show, Crews said.

Crews said although the deadline to purchase tickets to the dinner has passed, people can still call the Doudna to see if they can be “squeezed in.”

“It is a cool thing because it’s not your typical show that people would take someone to go see for Valentines Day,” Crews said. “So it is nice that we kind of came up with the idea of coordinating a Valentine’s date night and dinner.”

Crews said the dinner will be held on the theatre stage and will probably have anywhere from 25 to 30 out of the 40 couples they originally anticipated.

The show is intended for an adult audience, and tickets are still available.

They are $20 for general admission, $15 for seniors (62+) and $10 for students and can be purchased online at doudnatix.com or at the Doudna Fine Arts Center Box Office.

Box Office hours are Tuesday through Thursday 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Friday 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and one hour before the scheduled performance.

Analicia Haynes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].