Softball team goes 2-3 over weekend

JJ Bullock, Assistant Sports Editor

The Eastern softball team fell twice to No. 22-ranked La. over the weekend, but grabbed wins over Iowa and Samford University at the Mardi Gras classic in Lafeyette, La.

The Panthers opened up the tournament with a 4-2 win over Iowa on Friday.

Junior outfielder Kayla Bear, who was named to USA Softball’s top 50 players to watch list, went 3-for-4 against Iowa and scored one run as she started off well in a weekend where she batted .385 in five games played for the Panthers.

Senior pitcher Jessica Wireman threw seven innings, giving up just one earned run, striking out eight batters in the process.

She pitched 15 total innings in the tournament and gave up four runs.

The senior led the team last year in strikeouts and picked up right where she left off in this tournament, striking out a team-high 18 batters over the weekend.

The Panthers were shut down by La.’s Kylee Jo Trahan in their second game. Trahan pitched a complete game, giving up one run and striking out nine batters.

Eastern senior Michelle Rogers did her best to match Trahan’s performance; she threw six innings and gave up just two runs, but a sacrifice bunt by La. shortstop Alissa Dalton in the fifth inning, gave the Ragin’ Cajuns the one run lead they would need to win.

Wireman pitched strong again on Saturday for the Panthers as she led them to a 4-0 shutout win over Samford.

Wireman struck out seven more batters in that game.

Eastern scored all four of its runs in the first inning, thanks largely in part to a three-run triple by second baseman Mady Poulter.

In the fourth game of the tournament, the Panthers lost in 14-10 shootout that required nine innings of play before the Ragin’ Cajuns finally pulled away in the top of the final frame.

It was Dalton who game up big for Louisiana once again, she hit a two-run single in the top of the ninth inning.

Rogers was charged with the loss for the Panthers. She threw five innings and gave up three runs on nine hits.

The Panthers scored four runs in the seventh inning to tie the game at 10, sending it into extra frames.

The inning started with freshman Morgan Lamore hitting a solo home run. First baseman Haley Mitchell followed that with a 2 RBI double. Poulter advanced to third and scored on a throwing error on the play.

Eastern lost its final game of the tournament to Evansville in an 11-0 shutout loss.

The game was stopped after five innings and Evansville’s Eryn Gould pitched four strong innings, striking out eight batters in the game.

Eastern will play again in the Running Bulldog tournament beginning Feb. 16 with a game against Creighton.

JJ Bullock can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]