Sunday’s shots fired call still being investigated

Cassie Buchman, Editor-in-Chief

A shots fired call, which occurred in the 1400 Block of 10th Street and that led to two arrests, is still under investigation.

One victim was taken to Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center with a non life-threatening wound.

Brandon Hightower, Braxton Johnson and the victim were all in the apartment when the incident happened, Charleston Police Detective Tony West said.

“We don’t necessarily suspect that they were involved in the shooting, other than being present in the apartment,” West said.

He said the Charleston Police Department does not know who may have fired the shots at this point.

The officers arrested Hightower for possession of cannabis with intent to deliver. They also arrested Johnson for the same crime along with unlawful use of a weapon and armed violence. The police took both men to the Coles County Jail pending a hearing.

The victim of the shooting suffered an injury to his nose and was treated at Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center. He was released a few hours later.

“It appears the bullet may have traveled through the bridge of his nose,” West said.

West declined to name the victim, but said he was not affiliated with Eastern. Johnson is also not a student at the university. Hightower has been a student in the past, but West said he is not currently enrolled at Eastern.