Free flu shots to be offered Wednesday

Mike Santoria, Staff Reporter

Students can get free flu shots from 8:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. and from 1:30 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Human Services Building.

Nurses from the Health and Counseling Services will be administering the flu vaccines.

Amanda Harvey, the interim associate director of Health Service, said she hopes to have a large turnout because this event is a great prevention opportunity for both students and employees.

“With the clinic being open the majority of the day, there should be plenty of time for individuals to stop by,” Harvey said. “Students are in and out rather quickly during events like these.”

Harvey said she expects the majority of walk-in students to arrive in the afternoon and would love to see at least 30 students throughout the day.

“If the student cannot make clinic times that day, they can always call and make an appointment at their convenience,” Harvey said. “No matter when you come in, the shot is free.”

Administrative Nurse Carol Cheetham said that the entire process should only take 10 minutes. Students are to check in at the front desk and fill out the required paperwork before receiving their shots.

Students are also required to bring their Panther Cards upon arriving at Human Services, while faculty and staff who wish to receive a flu shot can do so for $15.

The student must be healthy on the day they receive their shot, cannot be allergic to eggs and must not have had an allergic reaction to previous flu shots, Cheetham said.

Eric Davidson, interim director of Health Service, said students should consider their risks of getting the flu and the severity of the consequences of the virus. He said those getting this flu are usually out for several days and still do not feel anywhere near 100% for days after their fevers break.

The Center for Disease Control recommends the flu vaccination for everyone six months and older.

According to the CDC, vaccination is particularly important for people at high risk of serious flu complications, and antibodies made in response to vaccination with one flu viruses can sometimes protect against different but related flu viruses.

“This year’s flu bug is a nasty one,” Davidson said. “I can see it not subsiding until around spring break.”

Mike Santoria can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].