Damages from recent Marty’s Bar crash exceed damages from 2016 crash

Andrew Paisley, Campus Reporter

Marty’s Bar sustained more damages from an accident where a vehicle crashed into the side of its building Wednesday night, but it will still be open this weekend.

A similar accident occurred on March 24, 2016 when a car crashed into almost the same spot in the entrance of the bar.

“We still are not entirely sure on the cost of damages from this accident,” said Shel Phipps, the public relations manager for Marty’s. “We do, however, know that the damages from this accident are much worse and will obviously cost more than the damages sustained from the accident in 2016.”

Marty’s Bar was closed Wednesday evening following the accident. The bar has reopened and will remain open this weekend.

Olivia Hamilton, an employee at Marty’s, said the incident inspired a new “Hole in the Wall” shot special.

A female driver in a red 1997 Ford Ranger was driving north on Fourth Street when she lost control of the vehicle and overcorrected onto the sidewalk, said Officer Brandon Spindler from the Charleston Police Department.

Spindler said this caused the vehicle to crash into the front entrance of the building of Marty’s Bar around 4:45 p.m. Wednesday.

The driver of the vehicle was cited for improper lane usage. No injuries were reported, and the vehicle was towed from the scene.

“I think the best way to prevent further accidents like this from occurring would be for drivers to slow down when turning onto Grant Ave.,” Spindler said. “This particular accident was most likely caused from the driver accelerating at a high speed when turning onto the street.”

Andrew Paisley can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].