Truck crashes into Marty’s, similar to previous crash in same spot

A truck crashes into Marty’s Wednesday afternoon. A similar incident in approximately the same location happened March 24,2016.

Olivia Swenson-Hultz

Olivia Swenson-Hultz

Andrew Paisley, Campus Reporter

A driver’s loss of control resulted in a crash into the building of Marty’s Bar on Wednesday evening. The accident, which occurred around 4:45 PM, was caused by a female driver in a 1997 red Ford Ranger.

“The female driver was coming down 4th Street and turning onto Grant Avenue,” said Officer Brandon Spindler from the Charleston Police Department. “The driver lost control and overcorrected onto the sidewalk, resulting in her wrecking into the side of the building into the entrance.”

No injuries were reported and the vehicle was towed from the scene.

“The bar will most definitely be closed this evening (Wednesday), but we are unsure as to whether or not we will be open tomorrow,” Jim Fisher, manager of the bar, said. “We still are unsure of the costs of damages at the moment.”

Andrew Paisley can be reached at 581-2812 or abpaisley@eiu.edu