Residence halls, other buildings to close over break

Vince Lovergine, Staff Reporter

Thanksgiving break begins Friday, meaning students who live in residence halls have a checklist of procedures that need to be followed before they leave.

Mark Hudson, director of Housing and Dining Services, advises students to follow the steps that are on the checklist. “The biggest thing we’re worried about is safety stuff,” Hudson said. “One thing is to make sure the windows are closed and latched. The reason for this is it can cause pipe freezing depending on the weather conditions. We want our students paying attention to the little things.”

All of the dining centers will be closed for the entire break starting on Friday.

Taylor Hall closes at 10:15 a.m., Java closes at noon, Stevenson Tower Deli closes at 1:30 p.m., Stevenson Grill will not be serving Reservation Dining Thursday and Friday and Thomas Hall closes at 6 p.m.

The Food Court in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union closes at 2 p.m. and will remain closed for the rest of break.

All residence halls will re-open at 1 p.m. Nov. 26.

The dining centers will not open until Nov. 27.

“All housing options if students need to stay (during break) are Lincoln, Douglas, Stevenson and Thomas,” Hudson said. “(Students) have to go to their front desks to sign up and stay for break, and it’s $85 for the week.”

Hudson said if a student does not live in Thomas, Lincoln, Douglas or Stevenson Halls and needs to stay, they have to contact Matt Boyer, the assistant director for residential life and conference services, who will work with students to see if there are any available options.

After students leave for Thanksgiving break, all doors to the residence halls will be locked, and they will not be able to get in. If a student leaves an item in his or her room, the Housing and Dining office is open Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Students will have to contact Housing and Dining to re-enter the building.

The Gregg Technology Center will be closed from 4 p.m. on Friday until Nov. 26.

Booth Library will close on Saturday and Sunday and will re-open on Monday and Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. It will close on Wednesday through Saturday and re-open on Sunday.

The Daily Eastern News will not be printing over break and will resume when classes begin.