Voice actor to recite classic tales

AJ Fournier, Campus Reporter

Edgar Allen Poe, Charles Dickens and Ambrose Bierce are just some of the different sections that voice actor Joshua Kane will perform at “Gothic at Midnight” in the Doudna Fine Arts Center on Saturday.

Dan Crews, interim director of programming, publicity and promotions for Doudna, said “Gothic at Midnight” is going to be a one-man show, featuring Kane performing a variety of different monologues.

Crew describes the show as an evening of hilarity and horror, with comedy that captures the moment from a variety of classic stories.

“He has memorized all these great passages from Dracula, Edgar Allen Poe and Ambrose Bierce and so many more,” Crews said.

Crews said when Kane performs these monologues he can draw the audience into his words and have the audience create an imagination of what he is performing in their heads.

“You use your imagination to what he says, and this is kind of like a live performance of his reciting these classic tales,” Crews said.

Crews said Kane he will not go into any gore or dismemberment that is seen in the movies.

“He just captures the moment,” Crews said. “Just imagine a great story teller, telling you creepy ghost stories.”

Crews said the idea for this show came when he saw Kane perform years earlier, and after meeting him and getting to know him, Crews decided to try to get him to come perform at Eastern.

He said it took a while for schedules to match up, but when he saw Kane’s schedule worked for Homecoming weekend, he had to have him come and perform.

“It is a perfect event to get into the Halloween mood with Halloween so close, ” Crews said.

Crews said the show is open to the public and for families, and despite not being something that people would typically see, audience members will definitely enjoy it and have fun.

“I think that a lot of college kids would really enjoy this. The show is something unlike most people are used to,” Crews said.

Kane will perform such acts as “A Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven Hop Frog” from Edgar Allen Poe and “Captain Murderer and the Devil’s Bargain” from Charles Dickens and many more.

The event will be Saturday, at 7:30 p.m. in the Dvorak Concert Hall of the Doudna Fine Arts Center. Ticket prices are $7 for students, $13 for seniors and $16 for general admissions.

AJ Fournier can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].