Students’ past works to be displayed in art show

AJ Fournier, Campus Reporter

The work of students who created art over the summer or previous years will be on display Wednesday at the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

Abby Perkins, sophomore art education major and show coordinator, said the event is a welcome-back-to-school show for students to show off their work.

“It is to show if any students have done anything over the summer or during the school year last year. It gets everyone back in the swing of things,” Perkins said.

Perkins said the event is not just for art students, and anyone can submit work if they want. It is being hosted by the Illinois Art Education Association Student Chapter.

“Most of the submissions we get are art students, but it is open to anyone who wants to submit something,” Perkins said.

Perkins said the event is a benefit to art students and a good way for students to promote their art, and it can help boost their resumes.

Perkins said the show would have a variety of different types of art from drawing and painting, 3D sculptures, photography and printmaking, and students can submit a variety of their work to show.

“As long as the students created the work themselves, they can submit it,” Perkins said.

Perkins said the event began as a fundraiser for IAEA, but it has turned into something bigger that gets the students involved.

“It brings together all the different art departments, it brings together the graphic design, sculpture and painting and drawing students,” Perkins said.

Perkins said this event is a yearly event, and turnout has always been strong from both participants and viewers. Along with this event, there will also be an art show in the spring.

Perkins said graduate students from each different category will be jurors and will judge for first and second place, with the winners getting $20 and runners up getting an IAEA T-shirt.

“The jurors are all graduate students, and one of them specializes in different types of art, they are all judging them together but in separate categories,” Perkins said.

The event is on Wednesday from 5 to 7 p.m. in the gallery room 1910 of the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

AJ Fournier can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].