Men and women’s golf teams in action

JJ Bullock and Vince Lovergine, Sport Reporters

Both the men and women’s Eastern golf teams were in action Monday and Tuesday ,playing in their third meets of the season.

The men’s golf team wrapped up tournament play at the F&M Bank APSU intercollegiate, finishing in 11th.

The women finished in 10th place of 15 teams at the Dayton Invitational.

Coming into Tuesday, the men had no change in their standings after Monday, after placing 11th on their first day.

Junior Charlie Adare led Eastern through three rounds tying for 62nd place in the tournament. Adare finished with a 76 in round three, giving him a total of 233 in three rounds.

In round three, Adare had six holes either go one, or two over par, but managed on four holes to go one under par.

In the front nine holes, Adare went four over par, but in the back nine holes, he shot right at par with 36.Sophomore Romeo Perez took a dip in the standings, finishing alone in 68th place, after posting a 79 round three score, giving him a total of 238.

Perez shot 22 over par over the course of two days, but on two holes in round three, he went three over par.

As a team, the Panthers shot 83 over par, and had a 311-total score after round three, finishing the F&M intercollegiate with a 947-total score.

Eastern senior Alex Gowin was the next to follow in the standings, finishing 69th and tallying a 77 round three score, giving him a 239- total score overall.

The other golfers for the Panthers were Marcello Verdolin and Sebastian Olrog. Verdolin placed in 72nd while Olrog tied for the last spot in the standings at 73 to wrap up the tournament.

Eastern’s best round of the tournament came on Monday afternoon by newcomer Marcello Verdolin.  He carded a round of 73.  Verdolin would finish Tuesday with a round of 79 as he was 72nd with a 54-hole score of 243.

Sophomore Romeo Perez knows he had to play better, because some holes can cost him

“I played good today, buy my misses cost me way to many shots (8 over on 3 holes), he said, “I need to minimize my mistakes to only bogey and I’ll be able to play lower than this tournament,” he said.

Tenesee-Martin and Missouri State were tied for the top spot in the F&M Bank APSU intercollegiate.

Murray State finished in 3rd, Mercer placed in 4th, host team Austin Peay took 5th place, Samford finished in 6th place, Tennessee State took 7th place, Belmont University placed in 8th place, Binghamton finished in 9th Tennessee Tech slotted in 10th place, and Eastern finished in 11th.

The women did not fare much better than the men at their tournament, finishing in 10th place of 15 teams at the Dayton invitational at the NCR Country Club in Kettering, Ohio.  

Eastern shot 77 over par in the tournament with a cumulative score of 637, shooting a 315 on Monday and a 322 Tuesday. 

Senior Anne Bahr led the Panthers with tournament score of 150. Bahr shot a 72 in her first round and a 78 on Tuesday. 

“Im pretty disappointed in today’s round honestly. I was hoping for more, especially after such a great first round,” Bahr said. “I played better than the score showed, it really should have been a 75 or 76, but that’s how golf goes.”

The teams number one golfer Daphne Chang finished six strokes behind her teammate with a 156. She shot an 80 on her first day and shaved four strokes off her total on her second day shooting a 76. 

Senior Hannah Magda turned in an overall score of 162 for Eastern. She shot 81 in both of her rounds. 

Katlyn Hasprey and McKenzie O’Brien rounded out the scoring for Eastern, shooting scores of 169 and 179 respectively. Hasprey shot an 82 and 87 in her rounds. O’Brien struggled shooting an 88 and 91. 

Findlay leads the tournament with a team score of 595. Western Illinois finished one stroke behind them with a 596 total score. Bowling Green round out the top three with a score of 604. 

IUPUI and Butler finished in a tie for 4th with scores of 606. Oakland and Dayton followed them with scores of 610 and 612 respectively. 

Northern Kentucky finished in 6th with a score of 620. Central Michigan followed them with a score of 628. Eastern followed them in 10th place. 

Dayton’s B-team finished 11th with a score of 647. 

The bottom four teams were Fort Wayne, Bowling Green (A), Detroit Mercy and Western Illinois (B). 

JJ Bullock and Vince Lovergine can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]