Peace Meals partnership helps struggling senior citizens

AJ Fournier, Campus Reporter

Students have the opportunity to give back and help feed senior citizens through the partnership program Eastern has with Peace Meals.

Beth Gillespie, interim director of Civic Engagement and Volunteerism, said, “It is an organization that helps support the seniors in our community and provide meals that are homebound with no transportation or are struggling to put food on the table.”

During the event, volunteers will go to a nursing home and help with the food stands that the Peace Meals brings in, Gillespie said.

Gillespie said in order for the senior citizens to be eligible for support, they have to sign up and provide their information. If they fit the criteria, then they will receive the support whether it be through their nursing homes or brought to their homes.

Crystal Brown, assistant director of Civic Engagement and Volunteerism, said that the Peace Meals brings the food and volunteers help set up and serve it to the citizens.

Brown said the organization helps build relationships with the seniors.

Eastern has been partnered with Peace Meals for one year now.

The partnership started after the Volunteerism Office met with Peace Meals during hunger action month last year, Gillespie said.

Brown said the opportunity is offered twice a month every other Wednesday.

“If students are interested in taking part, it is open to anyone on campus. They simply just go to our website and sign up for it,” Brown said.

“We were looking for ways to connect with the community, and last year when we were planning our hunger action month we wanted ways for students to get involved directly,” Brown said.

A big interest among students was doing more volunteer work with seniors, making it a great opportunity and partnership to get involved with, Brown said.

“We thought this would be an ideal way to reach out and see if Peace Meals had any need within their organization,” Brown said.

Gillespie said Peace Meals does offer other services to the citizens in needs besides food, however Eastern only assists with serving food and spending time with seniors.

Any students on campus interested in volunteering with Peace Meals can register online at http://www.eiu.edu/volunteer/wish_list_peacemeal.php.

AJ Fournier can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].