Rollerblading, laser tag to be featured FUNfest

AJ Fournier, Campus Reporter

Rollerblading, laser tag and karaoke are just some of the events that families can take part in at the annual Family Weekend FUNfest.

The event will be hosted by the University Board and is a great time for EIU students and families to share a fun-filled evening together while creating lasting EIU memories. This 3-hour family-pleaser has something for everyone! Family FUN-fest features an atmosphere that includes – creation stations, movies, roving artists, live entertainment, inter-active games, prizes, giveaways, and refreshments showcased throughout the MLK Jr. University Union.

University Board Chair Nia Douglas said that family FUNfest is the equivalent to an up all night during prowl weekend.

“It is a fun night of various creation stations, novelties such as airbrush and laser tag, a movie, Fiesta karaoke, as well as food and music for all ages to enjoy. Families who attend will be able to roam the union enjoying many free activities during four-hour event.”

The events available are:

• The movie Despicable Me 3 will play in the Charleston/Mattoon room.
  • “Fiesta” Live Karaoke in 7th street underground.
  • Laser Tag in the Grand Ballroom.
  • Glo Games, Stuff-a-Bear, Airbrush Artist, Balloon Artist – 2nd Floor, University Ballroom.
  • Creation Stations: Pumpkin Decorating, Headbands, Sand Art, Key Chains – 2nd Floor, Walkway Lounge.
  • Digital Photo Booth & Funny Money Booth – 2nd Floor, Alumni Lounge

The event goes from 7-11 PM on Saturday, September 16th and families can come and go as they please, and University Board has been preparing for summer, Douglas said.

University Board is over many of the events being held during FW. There will be a Movie, Glo Bingo, and a Ventriloquist on Friday night. As well as a Shaves ice truck, bubble station and spin art Saturday afternoon, Douglas said.

Glo Bingo will be from 9 P.M.-11 P.M. on Friday at Mcafee Gym, families are invited to join the EIU community for a fun, exciting, and unforgettable evening of “Glow-in-the-Dark” bingo, played under “Black Lights” the event features live music, EIU Celebrity Bingo-callers and a chance to win exclusive Family Weekend week prizes! This year’s event will feature a Kid’s Corner and BINGO with a “Twist” – Grocery Bingo! Participants will have a chance to win $25, $50, $100 worth of groceries! Refreshments and a Digital Photo Booth will be provided.

On Friday from 8-9 P.M. in the Grand Ballroom, Families can enjoy Lynn Trefzger. A ventriloquist and comedienne; audiences are treated to her amazing vocal illusion talents, when they meet a lovable camel, a grumpy old man, a feisty little girl, and even see some audience members are brought up on stage for the action. With Lynn Trefzger’s many voices, off-the-wall audience interplay, and riotously funny illusions and comedic puppets, she is sure to be a family-pleaser.

AJ Fournier can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]