Latin Heritage Month celebration begins

Kennedy Nolen, Multicultural Reporter

Multiple registered student organizations and departments around campus are coming together to celebrate Latin Heritage Month from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15.

Jessica Rodriguez, Latin American Student Organization public relations person, said this month is for Latinos to share their culture, including herself.

“It’s not just (about) a particular country,” Rodriguez said, “We can share our customs, food and our culture.”

Food and drinks will be served noon in the Doudna Fine Arts Center Friday as the “Taste of Latin Culture” reception kicks off the celebratory month.

Rodriguez said Saturday is an important day for Latino people, especially Mexicans, because it is the date Mexico gained its independence.

In honor of this and in partnership with Latin Heritage Month, bilingual mass will be at 8 a.m. at the Catholic Newman Center Saturday.

A panel and presentation called “From the Eyes of Latinos: Students’ Experiences from Studying Abroad,” will be at 4:30 p.m. in the Tuscola/Arcola room in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union on Monday.

Students who have studied abroad in countries in Latin America will share their experiences, studies and differences and similarities in cultures, Rodriguez said.

LASO will be selling elote, corn, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. outside of Coleman Hall Tuesday.

Rodriguez said elote is corn in a cup with butter, mayonnaise, cheese and chili powder.

The organization is planning to sell elote for $2 per cup, Beltran said.

Later that day, Esperanza, an empowerment RSO, is hosting a workshop to educate attendees on the history of corn tortillas and the cultural significance from 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the cultural center, said Lina Lopez, treasurer and junior finance major.

The Students for Justice and Peace will present a documentary called “Hear My Story,” at 7 p.m. in Lumpkin Hall Auditorium Monday Sept. 25.

Latin Heritage game night will take place at 7 p.m. in Coleman Hall room 1165 Sept. 26 and will be hosted by the Latino co-ed fraternity Alpha Psi Lambda.

Stephanie Beltran, vice president of LASO, said the documentary includes the stories of immigrants living in the United States.

Miranda Ramirez, vice president of Esperanza, said the organization will sell paletas, Mexican ice cream pops, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m, in Coleman Hall, Wednesday Sept. 27 and the money they raise will go toward their RSO.

LASO will also be reading with and to children at 10 a.m. in the Ballenger education room inside Booth Library Saturday Sept. 30. This is called “Latino Heritage Story Time.”

Beltran said LASO wants to have a theme for the reading day, but they are not sure what it will be yet.

Amigos and Friends, a group who helps Spanish speakers with English, is hosting a trivia night at 7 p.m. in 7th Street Underground on Monday Oct. 2.

Vita’s Mexican Food Truck will be from 10:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m between Coleman Hall and Taylor Hall Tuesday Oct. 3.

A documentary called “Stolen Education” will be presented by Jay Bickford, education professor, at 2 p.m. in Buzzard Hall room 1501 on Thursday Oct. 5.

Beltran said she is looking forward to the event “Vamos a Bailar” from 7 to 10 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom in the Union on Saturday Oct. 7.

An instructor will teach Bachata and the salsa, some of the most well known dances from the culture, Beltran said, and the instructor may teach more.

Two different presentations will take place Oct. 12 and Oct. 13 to wrap up Latin Heritage Month on campus.

“Clinica de Migrants: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness” is Oct. 12, and “Making Excellence Inclusive Inaugural Conference” is Oct. 13.

Rodriguez said students should come and hang out with members of the different organizations hosting the events and to get informed about different cultures.

Beltran said she encourages students to come to any of the events to learn how different the cultures are, but also how similar they are.

“At the end, we aren’t that different,” Rodrigues said.

Kennedy Nolen can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].