Remembering 9/11’s impact today

Chrissy Miller, News Editor

Although she is too young to recall the day the tragedy happened, freshman psychology major Kirsten Daugherty still sees the affect the Sept.11 attacks have had on present-day issues.

“Whenever I learn about it, whenever I see videos, it really is heart-wrenching,” Daugherty said. “I think of so many people who have passed away.”

For Daugherty, Sept.11 is also a reminder of a more personal tragedy, as her grandfather died on the same day in a different year.

Daugherty said given the opportunity, she would love to visit the site of the attacks to honor the heroes, survivors and those who died.

“One thing I do remember is the way the nation just pulled together,” Daugherty said. “Even now, it seems that’s one thing that we can hold onto—is when there is devastation we do help out, even with all of the differences that we have.”

Daugherty said hearing Eastern’s clock tower, by the Booth Library, play the national anthem in remembrance was really touching.

“It doesn’t matter who you are, it doesn’t matter where you’re from, it’s still a devastating time,” Daugherty said. “People still recognize loss as something that needs to be cared for.”

Ceci Brinker, director of student life, said she was getting ready to walk out the door and had the news on when the plane crashes happened.

“I actually saw it come across as breaking news and then they started talking about it, and the next thing they know they actually showed one plane that actually collided,” Brinker said. “That stopped me dead in my tracks.”

Brinker said by the time she got to work that day people were trying to get in front of televisions and make sense of what was going on.

“It happened 16 years ago, and 16 years ago still makes it seem like it just happened the other day,” Brinker said. “We quibble over such minor things sometimes in this country and when you hear about 9/11 and start thinking about the impact it has had on families in this country, it really puts things in perspective.”

Brinker said for students today who may not have been alive during this tragedy it is important not to lose sight of the history and the lessons that can be learned from it.

“I didn’t lose anybody in that, but my heart went out to the families and the rescuers that lost their lives for that,” Brinker said. “As a country, we need to be reminded of that and be reminded of the need to be safe, to come together as one to ensure that doesn’t happen again.”

Cathy Engelkes, director of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union, said she was in Old Main in the Vice President’s office when Eastern’s President came in and revealed the news.

“This morning I was watching the memorial service and it’s still heartbreaking,” Engelkes said. “It just really gets you.”

Ray Starwalt, a graduate student studying science and sustainable energy, said he had the day off and found out what was going on when he went to the post office.

“It was just a total shock that something like that could happen,” Starwalt said. “Then when I went back home, I immediately turned on the television and saw the visual of the towers smoking. I was in disbelief.”

Starwalt said with the direction the country is going, he feels like it is the “end times.”

“I didn’t think that type of destruction would make it to U.S. soil,” he said. “There’s no middle ground. It seems to be extreme in one way or another.”

After serving in the military for over 20 years, Starwalt said he just wants the madness to stop and for threats of nuclear war to cease.

He said future generations need to learn from their countries’ past.

“It did bring our country together, just like the disasters in Texas and now Florida. Starwalt said. “Don’t wait until a disaster of that magnitude happens to get together.”

Chrissy Miller can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]