LASO to host rally in support of DACA

Kennedy Nolen, Multicultural Reporter

A rally to support the immigration policy Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals and DACA recipients is set for 3:30 p.m. Friday in Morton Park.

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump ordered an end to DACA, a program that shields young undocumented immigrants from deportation, according to the New York Times.

The Latin American Student Organization decided to have the rally in response to this.

Katrina Thompson, secretary of LASO and a sophomore early childhood education major, said they are inspiring people to come and make the changes needed to make immigrants’ dreams of staying in the U.S. a reality for people.

Retired communication studies professor Shirley Bell is set to speak at the peaceful rally, as well as a student who is being affected firsthand by the repeal.

“(The student) is going to humanize it so people can see these are real people being affected,” Thompson said.

Bell is going to explain what DACA is and what can happen under Trump’s order.

LASO will also hand out fliers with information on how to contact members of Congress and how to contact the representatives in and out of the district.

Stephanie Beltran, vice president of LASO and a sophomore biological sciences major, said one reason LASO members felt like they should host a rally is because a large percentage of DACA recipients are Latino or Hispanic.

LASO wants to be there to support DACA recipients and say whatever is needed for those who are unable to speak, Beltran said.

Thompson said LASO is going to make signs and stand along the sidewalk on Lincoln Avenue so people passing by can see them.

“The community, not just EIU, but everyone as a whole in Charleston can be involved and share their support,” she said.

LASO also reached out to the Asian-American Association, the Association of International Students, the African Student Association, the French Club and other organizations on campus to see if they want to participate.

Beltran said people who are not aware about different circumstances that DACA recipients or the families of DACA recipients face can get a better look at their position at the rally.

Some people see things on the news about DACA but do not understand what is actually happening, so LASO wants to inform people on the topic, Thompson said.

“This is a peaceful rally. It is all about support,” she added.

Kennedy Nolen can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].