Business Expo to offer off-campus resources

AJ Fournier, Campus Reporter

Students will get the opportunity to experience different businesses in Charleston at the third annual Business Expo.

Beth Gillespie, interim director for Civil Engagement and Volunteerism, said the Business Expo offers new and returning students the chance to learn and interact with different businesses.

“Students can learn to explore what life off campus looks like,” Gillespie said. “(The expo) started because we realize that for transfer and freshman students who are new to town and don’t have vehicles, they are focused on what’s happening on campus, and this brings a little of Charleston to them.”

The Business Expo will be from 10:45 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Library Quad. It will feature places such as My Charleston Dentist, Family Video, Bob’s Bookstore, Jimmy Johns and Pizza Hut.

Gillespie and Crystal Brown, assistant director of Civic Engagement and Volunteerism, said this expo could connect students to many resources, from restaurants to health services.

“The thought is to connect (students) to resources like My Charleston Dentist so that they know there are different health care providers here in town, as well as different restaurants like Jimmy John’s or Pizza Hut if they want to eat off campus,” Gillespie said.

Gillespie said the Business Expo can also help students network and get possible internships with different companies.

“It is a great way to come up and network in doing work you are interested in, to get connections locally,” Gillespie said.

Gillespie said there has always been good student turnout as the Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteerism plans carefully when they host The Business Expo.

“We’re intentional about when we do it, so that there is a significant amount of traffic in the Library Quad between 11a.m. and 2 p.m. with classes, meetings and lunches, so we try to catch (students then),” Gillespie said.

The weather is set to be sunny on Wednesday, but in the case of bad weather the Business Expo will be rescheduled.

AJ Fournier can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]