Charleston Community Band celebrates 40 years of music Thursday

Megan McDevitt, a choir teacher at Charleston Middle School, plays the chimes during the Charleston Community Band concert Thursday at Kiwanis Park.

Chaela Krueger, Entertainment Editor

For some, it is a tradition. For others, it is an escape.

Since 1977, the Charleston Community Band has given Charleston and the surrounding area a taste of its musical talent.

To celebrate 40 years of music, the band will perform a patriotic concert at 7:30 p.m.  Thursday as part of Charleston’s Red, White and Blue Days in the Daum Amphitheater at Kiwanis Park.

The following week, the Charleston Community Band will host a Stars and Stripes Patriotic Fanfare starting at 6 p.m.  Monday,July 3 at Daniel Island Smythe Park.

Members of the Charleston Community Band perform last Thursday during their weekly concert at Kiwanis Park.
Toluwalase Solomon
Members of the Charleston Community Band perform during their weekly concert at Kiwanis Park.

Band director Ginger Stanfield said it is a privilege to open every performance with the national anthem.

She said she always tries to include at least two marches, a Broadway tune, a scared piece, something old and something new in every performance.

Ginger Stanfield, the director of the Charleston Community Band, conducts during the weekly concert Thursday at Kiwanis Park.
Toluwalase Solomon

Another tradition Stanfield wants to continue is performing a piece featuring a trombone for the founding and previous director of the band John Daum.

“I promised John Daum in 2012 that I would help continue to keep this tradition going as long as the musicians and (the community) kept supporting it,” she said.

The Charleston Community Band consists of people of all ages, from high school to 90 years old.

About 75 musicians make up the band, some of whom are professionals, but most are “dedicated amateurs who enjoy playing good music,” Stanfield said.

Members of the Charleston Community Band play another tune during the weekly concert on Thursday at Kiwanis Park.
Toluwalase Solomon

Kamryn Fisher, a first-year member playing clarinet, said her favorite part about being in the band is seeing the wide range of ages coming together playing their music. She said she enjoyed that her grandpa from Sullivan came to watch her perform.

The Charleston Community Band noted that donations are always appreciated, but never expected. However, these donations and sponsors are necessary to continue performing, purchase new pieces and maintain their equipment.

Donations can be given at each concert or mailed to Charleston Community Band, 520 Jackson Avenue, Charleston.

Also, throughout the month of June, Arby’s in Charleston will be donate 10 percent of all Thursday sales from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. to help support the band.

A list of the band’s additional performances can be found at  http://charlestoncommunityband.org.

Chaela Krueger can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].