Theatre arts department to hold annual research symposium

Angelica Cataldo, Entertainment Reporter

The theatre arts department will be hosting their 12th annual research symposium 7 p.m. Monday in the Lecture Hall of the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

In 2004, English professor Christopher Wixson and Christopher Mitchell, interim associate dean of the College of Arts and Humanities, organized the symposium as an opportunity for students to present their research in a public forum.

Wixson said the forum is one of the longest-running events of its kind on campus.

Senior theatre arts major Holly Allen, junior English major Sam Fishel and freshman middle level education major Lauren Mellott will be the undergraduate students presenting their submitted research papers at the forum.

Both Wixson and Mitchell will be coordinating and moderating the research symposium.

“Over the years, the work presented has been impressive and another reminder of the articulate and insightful research and argumentative writing taking place in the humanities,” Wixson said.

Every year, at the beginning of the fall semester, students are able to submit their research papers focusing on topics such as dramatic literature, theater history, theater theory and theater criticism.

In November, a panel of faculty judges selects which papers will be presented at the symposium.

One submission will then be awarded as the “Best Undergraduate Research Paper” of the year.

“The topics of the essays are always wide-ranging. For example, this year’s panel features papers on William Shakespeare’s ‘The Tempest, the advent of female actors on the English stage during the Restoration and ‘Hamilton’ the musical,” Wixson said.

The symposium is supported by the theatre arts and English departments, as well as the College of Arts and Humanities.

Angelica Cataldo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].