Couture Club and event planning students plan Halloween party at Fili’s

Angelica Cataldo, Entertainment Reporter

As part of one of her group assignments in her events planning course and in collaboration with the Couture Club, senior communication studies major Andrianna Fullerton will be hosting a Halloween-themed party at 9 p.m. Thursday at Fili’s Station in Downtown Charleston.

“There’s usually not many things to do and people don’t really go out for Halloween,” Fullerton said. “We all decided on the time and everything and we chose to do it then.”

Fullerton teamed up with her classmates Kim Merwin, a senior family and consumer sciences major, and Lelonna Goodson, a senior communications major, to plan the party.

Admission is free and the proceeds from the Halloween party’s food and drinks will go to Habitat for Humanity, another Registered Student Organization whose purpose is to raise awareness about the need for affordable housing.

“I really want to focus on the cause and let people know to donate to this charity, but also have something fun to do for Halloween,” Fullerton said.

Fullerton is the president of the Couture Club, and has hosted multiple events that donate to charities and organizations. Her work with the Couture Club includes organizing and hosting fashion shows, community service events and photo shoots.

The club, Fullerton, Goodson and Merwin will all be hosting as well as helping serve the guests who attend. Fili’s Station offered to let Fullerton and the Couture Club use the bar for free and will make two special drinks for the occasion.

“I’m really big on ‘no fighting’ and we want people to have safe fun,” Fullerton said. “I always go to Fili’s and it’s always been great. There were never fights when I would go.”

The bar will host karaoke from 9-11 p.m. and then the party will continue until 2 a.m. Guests are encouraged to dress up in costumes or in Halloween-themed clothing.

Members of Couture, Fullerton, Goodson and Merwin will all be wearing masquerade masks as part of an effort to coordinate costumes for the event.

In addition, the Couture Club is planning to perform Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” to kick off the karaoke session.

There will also be two costume contests based on the sexiest costume and the scariest costume. Both winners will receive a cash prize.

Fili’s will be decorated for the event and will also be carding guests.

The event is open to the public for everyone 21 and older.

Angelica Cataldo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].