Flipping pancakes to support high school youth

Carole Hodorowicz, Verge Reporter

They say the early bird gets the worm, but this weekend the early bird can get pancakes made by the Charleston Rotary Club in the parking lot of Dirty’s starting at 6:30 a.m.

Students and locals can enjoy pancakes and sausage while watching the Homecoming Parade.

Tickets, which can be purchased at the breakfast, are $6 for adults and $3 for children under the age of 10.

Bill Lair, who is in charge of PR for the Charleston Rotary Club, said the pancake breakfast has been happening for about 15 years.

It was originally held in the parking lot of Domino’s before the restaurants initial closure and has now been at Dirty’s for three or four years now.

“Pancake breakfast is something everyone in the community can go to,” Lair said.

He estimated that about 50% of the attendees are locals, but students do come.

Through these fundraisers, Rotary Club raises money that they use to support the students of Charleston High School.

One of the programs they help sponsor is a high school youth exchange, where students can go abroad overseas and live with a host family.

Rotary Club also helps a student at Charleston High School host students from overseas.

Lair said that this year, Rotary Club has supported two students that are abroad now and will be supporting another student to host a girl from Italy sometime this year.

For the 1st graders of Charleston, Rotary Club supplies personalized books to the students called “I Like Me.”

Rotary Club also gives 4-year scholarships to Charleston High School students that are going to attend Eastern Illinois University.

Carole Hodorowicz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].