Financial aid offered for study abroad programs

Megan Noonan, Contributing Writer

Many students believe that it costs more to attend study abroad than usual tuition. George Anaman, a graduate student who works in the study abroad office, said that is a myth.

Rachel Lindhart, a second year graduate student who also works in the study abroad office, said students might be scared when they look at the numbers when figuring out the cost of studying abroad. Lindhart said many people are there to help them with this.

There are many forms of aid that are offered. Students can use their financial aid that they would normally get for school as well as different types of scholarships that are offered for study abroad programs.

Lindhart said that their office provides thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. There are also departmental, honors, national and international scholarships that they encourage students to apply for.

Paula Coartney, a financial aid adviser, said one of the most popular scholarships is the Gilman International Grant. Students can apply for the scholarship if the students are eligible for the Pell Grant. It is an in-depth application process, but Coartney said it is worth it.

“Scholarships range anywhere from $3,000 to around $6,000,” Coartney said. “For one semester that’s quite a bit.”

Students that are eligible can apply for as many scholarships as they would like.

“If they are willing to put in the time and effort to apply for as many scholarships as possible, we work really hard to see that as many students as possible get funding,” Lindhart said.

If students want to study abroad they have to work with both the Financial Aid Office and the Study Abroad Office to make sure their checklist is completed and they have everything planned. One of the most important parts of this checklist is the financial portion.

Coartney said when completing the checklist, it makes it easier if people already have a FAFSA filed so they are able to get a better idea of what the student can expect to receive.

When thinking about studying abroad, students also need to apply the semester before they are interested in leaving.

Not everyone that participates in study abroad applies for scholarships, so that means there is more money available for people who need the financial assistance.

Lindhart said studying abroad is an experience that can change people’s lives.

Anaman said that it was a blessing to be able to travel outside his country.

Megan Noonan can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].