Carnegie Library hosts programs for children

Abbey Whittington, Associate News Editor

Charleston’s Carnegie Library will be hosting several programs this month for Eastern students and community members.

According to a press release, five programs are offered this month at the library including Pre-School Story Time, Lego My Library, Mrs. Senior’s Fact and Fiction: Apples, Books and Babies, and Day Time Astronomy.

Pre-School Story Time will resume every Monday at 10:30 a.m., 1:15 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. starting Sept. 12 through Nov. 28 for ages 3 through 5 in the Craft Room of the library.

Children participating in the program will also be able to make crafts and participate in other literacy builders.

Lego My Library, formerly Lego Club, will be from 4 to 5:15 p.m. Wed., Sept. 21 in the Rotary Room of the library for children in grades kindergarten to eighth grade.

Children under 8 years old are advised to bring an adult. Between 5 and 5:15 p.m., builders will have a show and tell of what everyone made with their Legos.

Legos will be provided for attendees.

Mrs. Senior’s Fact and Fiction: Apples will be from 5:30 to 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 15 for kids in kindergarten through the third grade.

Children will learn about apples through stories, activities and a craft in this program.

Books and Babies will resume 10:30 a.m. Sept. 15 on Thursdays through Nov. 17 in the Craft Room.

This program has been developed for 3-year-olds and their caregivers.

Bouncing rhymes, songs, finger plays, stories and other activities will be presented.

The Day Time Astronomy will meet 5 p.m. Tuesday in the library parking lot.

In this program, lunar craters and sunspots using filtered telescopes and projection scopes will be discussed.

There will be telescopes set up for participants and have a guided viewing in an informal question and answer format.

Children under 13 years old will need to bring an adult to the program.

All of the library’s programs will be free and will not require a library card to participate.

For further information on the library’s programs, those interested can call 217-345- 1514 or visit their website at www.charlestonlibrary.org.

Abbey Whittington can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]