Step show to return for 26th year

Janet Pernell, Multicultural Reporter

Students can see stomping, strolling and clapping at the Meet the Greeks Step Show 5:30 p.m. Friday in front of the Doudna Steps.

In case of rain, the show is scheduled to be in the McAfee Gym.

Meet the Greeks is an annual step show that takes place at Eastern every year around recruitment time for other sorority and fraternity councils.

The show is put together by the National Pan-Hellenic Council, which is known as a council that serves mainly African Americans.

The NPHC has a different way of recruiting members compared to Eastern’s other Greek organizations, the Interfraternity and Panhellenic Councils.

When the IFC and Panhellenic recruit, organizations plan a day-by-day process for prospective members, who then visit different houses run by the different organizations.

Meet the Greeks for NPHC organizations is a way for them to introduce themselves, especially to new students, and students can learn more about each of the organizations.

The NPHC organizations also put together what they call “probates.” Probates are held toward the end of each semester to show off each organization’s new members.

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity will be at the show presenting the different ways they stroll and step.

Aaliyah Stephen, the second vice president of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, said the organization has been practicing for Meet the Greeks to make sure the crowd will get a good show.

Delta Sigma Theta practices daily from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. in order to prepare for Meet the Greeks.

Stephen said by performing their chants and steps, the sorority can show what they are all about.

Tylen Elliott, the public relations chair for Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, said they hold daily practices until they day of the show.

Elliott said Alpha Phi Alpha is currently coming up with new routines and songs to perform.

Jordan Dadez, the associate resident director for housing in Greek Court, said she expects a high attendance rate for Meet the Greeks. She said a lot of the freshmen who come are interested in joining an NPHC organization.

“I think this this an important event, not just for Greek life but also the community to show that we have different facets of Greek life (and) that there are diverse organizations,” Dadez said. “So if you feel like you may not belong to those certain councils such as IFC and Panhellenic, there is another home for you.”

Dadez said she would consider Meet the Greeks to be an educational and spirit-filled event for students. She said students come to watch the show and also learn what makes an NPHC council different from other councils.

“A lot of people don’t know much about NPHC organization(s); they don’t know what they’re about so they can see them stepping and strolling and that’s cool,” Dadez said. “It’s just really fun to see them all step and stroll.”

Dadez’s goals for Meet the Greeks are for the step show to have a high attendance rate, for it to go smoothly and for students to have fun.

Janet Pernell can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].