Car smashing to allow students to de-stress

Luis Martinez, News Editor

Finals are looming around the corner, and as students prepare to study and get ready for the end of the year, the Student Government has prepared a week of different events to help de-stress students, including one where they can smash a car.

On Friday, students will be able to take part in “Smash Car” from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the 9th Street Underclassmen Parking Lot. The Student Government will also be handing out free popsicles from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Library Quad Friday.

Eliza Coleman, the student chair for the academic affairs committee, is in charge of the week’s de-stressing events, along with the other members of the committee.

“A member from last year’s academic affairs committee had mentioned they thought of it for a de-stresser but never got around to doing it, so I thought ‘why not,’” Coleman said. “Other schools do this event on (their) campus for multiple fundraisers and awareness events.”

Coleman said she believes this was not the first time that a demo car has been brought to Eastern. She said the last time this happened was during a past Homecoming week.

Coleman’s uncle, from Joe Coleman Salvage and Demolition in Pana, is providing the car that will be smashed and taking it to and from the event.

Coleman said she hopes everyone who has participated in the other de-stressing events during the week has had a good time. She said she is hoping for a good turnout for the final event.

“I expect a lot of students (at the event) because it’s a good de-stresser before finals and also it is something you can mingle at and get to know other people,” Coleman said. “We also conducted a survey asking if students would be interested and out of those surveyed, they were very interested.”

Aside from the car smashing, a $5 and $25 gift card for the bookstore will be raffled off.

The Student Government will also be handing out study bags from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at Taylor Hall and hosting “Splat! Zone,” a paint wall from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., also on Thursday, in the South Quad.

Luis Martinez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]