City Council to vote on annual budget

Lynnsey Veach, Staff Reporter

There will be a public hearing on Charleston’s proposed annual budget at 6:20 p.m. Tuesday, before the routine City Council meeting at 6:30 p.m.

Charleston Mayor Brandon Combs said the proposed budget was created by the city manager and comptroller. He said there are no notable changes in this annual budget, which will start May 1, 2016 and end April 30, 2017.

The council will vote to increase the charges for ambulance services from the Charleston Fire Department. This would increase charges for residents living in city limits, non-residents and residents who live outside of city limits.

The base rate for full-time Eastern students and residents within city limits would be $424.91 for Basic Life Support, $803.93 for Advanced Life Support, and $803.93 for Advanced Life Support II.

For non-residents, the charge would be $607.02 for Basic Life Support, $955.33 for Advanced Life Support and $1,148.47 for Advance Life Support II.

The council will be voting on the purchase of a cot power-load system for fire department personnel that will be purchased for $22,767 or less. According to the agenda, if approved, the council will waive bidding purchases to provide the most compatible system for reducing potential injuries.

The council will be authorizing a street closure on the Courthouse Square for the Farmer’s Market starting June 1 and continuing every Wednesday after until October 26 if approved.

The Charleston Tourism Advisory Board has recommended that the council cover expenses relating to 2015 brochure printing costs by the Lincoln Log Cabin. If approved, the council will be giving $1,000 to Lincoln Log Cabin for said expenses.

The council will pay $2,000 to cover expenses for the Charleston Chill’s Invitational and Summer Slam, if this is approved Tuesday.

If approved Tuesday, the council will also be paying $2,238 for Eastern’s kinesiology department’s expenses relating to the Illinois High School Association Girl’s State Badminton Championship.

The council will also be voting on the approval of tourism funds for the Charleston Transitional Facility, CIL-Con, a paranormal, horror, anime and gaming convention, and the Coles County Memorial Airport.

Combs will be announcing the reappointment of Lori Banks, Craig Cunningham and Bob Wiseman to three-year terms on the Charleston Carnegie Library Board of Trustees.

Combs will also announce the appointment of Brendan Lynch to the Charleston Tourism Advisory Board and will recognize Lynch’s contributions to the Lake Charleston Trail System Project.

Lynnsey Veach can be reached at 581-2818 or [email protected]