Rapping and comedy brings campus to laughing fits

Josh Saxton

Patrick Davis, a senior general studies major freestyle raps during the BSU Comedy Roast and Cypher show Monday in the auditorium of Lumpkin Hall.

T'Nerra Butler, Multicultural Editor

Rapping, laughing and clapping echoed in the Lumpkin Hall Auditorium as rappers from across the campus and the community spit some of their hottest lyrics.

The Black Student Union brought the night filled with laughter with their The “Who’s Got the Juice, “rap cypher. The night featured different artists who took turns with their play on words on a series of beats. These instrumentals came from rappers like Meek Mill, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Lil Herb.

The night was set up where there were three rappers during each cypher who took turns on the mic. Between the passing of the mic and the lyrical verses recited, the crowd gave generous claps and appreciation to those they thought earned it.

After each cypher ended, the crowd was encouraged to send in the names of who they deemed the winner of the rap battle.

Both the crowd and rappers were mixed when it came to racial background. Tiarra “Mello” Webb the social affairs chair for the BSU, planned the event and said a diverse crowd was one of her biggest goals of the night. She said the diversity of the crowd represented unity on campus and it gives a chance for people to feel welcomed in a place where they may not be the majority.

Webb said she thinks the night broke some of the tension on campus. She said with the budget and pressure with the presidential elections something to take the edge for students was needed.

Webb was among the rappers, and finished the cypher off with lyrics like “I put your eyes in your mouth, now you see what I’m saying,” and “I breathe on sick people and make them feel better.”

Webb said it was all for sport and even though she took most of the votes under her belt, she gave it to Derek Rios, a freshman communication studies major.

Rios had been rapping for a year and said he started after seeing a group of other teens with lyrical talents.

“Rapping gets me out to places like this where I can meet other people who like rap as much as I,” Rios said.

Rios said the comedian for the night helped to ease his stage jitters so that he could rap with comfort.

“He really did a good job at making everyone feel comfortable before getting up there,” Rios said.

In between cyphers, Larry “Larro” Smith, a comedian, performed a series of jokes where he called out members of the crowd for more engagement. Smith said he has been doing stand up for the last 4 and a half years and started because he grew up being the funny kid in class.

“The class clown finally found a niche,” Smith said. “Some of the stuff I go through, I feel as though what makes it funny is that I can make it relatable to others.”

Smith said comedy is excitement and it is his weapon and as well as a gift.

“Like how Lebron James is able to dunk, this is my court,” Smith said.

Laughter is a hidden stress reliever Smith said. He said when someone is able to laugh it acts as a cure or as medicine to a person who probably was not having the best day.

Before starting the show, Smith announced to the audience to keep their feeling at the door because any and everyone was a target when it came to cracking jokes on them. And he stayed true to his promise because throughout the entirety of the show, he cracked jokes on different audience members.

Smith has opened up for big names like Mike Epps, Martin Lawrence and D-Ray Davis.

The BSU collected cans from the audience members for entry that will be given to the Food Pantry in Mattoon.

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]